Epilogue: The Title of An Orphan

Lily's POV

Felix was my brother? Cool. That meant that the siblings lie that we'd been telling everyone we came across wasn't a lie at all. We looked at each other curiously.

"So," he said simply. 

"Yup."

"Problem?"

I shook my head. "Nope. You?"

"Nope."

"Cool. I'm tired." I leaned back into his hold the way I had before and closed my eyes. 

The spell that Thitis had done had gotten Pietro's consciousness out of my head and exhausted me, but it was worth it. He was now safely sealed away in a crystal in my pocket, and Rosalie was marginally easier to deal with now that he was. She still wanted to kill these people, and Uriel, surprisingly, agreed with her. A lot. Like, with no stuttering at all. But they wanted to get to Arthur too, so we agreed that it could wait. 

Tommy spoke up, sounding confused. "Aren't you... I don't know, surprised?"

I opened my eyes and turned to look at him. "Oh yeah. I didn't expect this at all."

"I'm definitely surprised," Felix said.

"Then-- What-- Why aren't you reacting?" Tommy spluttered. "Does this sort of thing happen often or something?"

"Not at all." I closed my eyes again and leaned back, exhaustion taking its toll. 

Felix held me up, just as I knew he would. "Actually, only two Lost Ones have ever been related. It's basically unprecedented."

"What?"

"He doesn't get it," I muttered to Felix. "Do we have to explain?"

"I think we should," he said at normal volume. "They all look pretty confused."

I sighed. "But I'm tired."

"Do you want me to pick you up or something?" His voice was half mocking, but it was a serious offer. 

I nodded. I couldn't remember ever being this tired physically. It was unlikely that I would fall asleep, but I couldn't find the energy to stand on my own power. 

"We're Lost Ones," Felix said to he others as he moved out from behind me. I leaned against the wall. "Blood ties don't mean the same thing to us as they do to you." He knelt in front of me and I climbed onto his back, wrapping my arms around his neck. He gripped the back of my knees securely and I put my chin on his left shoulder. 

"If I had just met Felix today," I said, yawning, "And you told me we were related, I probably would have reacted the same way."

Felix nudged me as he stood up. "Hey, open your eyes. I can't have you falling asleep on me."

I did so and it looked as if Guinevere had woken up. Lancelot and Kay were looking at us with the same curious confusion as Tommy, so I elaborated. "Blood ties don't matter to us. Family is earned."

"In other words," Felix said, "If we had just met today and we were expected to live together and trust each other like family should, we would probably try to kill each other." 

I yawned. "As it is, we were family already. Being related doesn't matter to us at all."

Tommy seemed to kind of understand, but Lancelot and Kay were staring at Felix in disbelief. I figured that it had less to do with them not understanding and more to do with them knowing Felix from before. Glitonea and Thitis didn't give anything away in their expressions. Guinevere didn't seem to know what to say, but she looked like she was following the conversation remarkably well for someone who was unconscious for the first half of it.