Chapter 8

"You look really nice today, Yusuke."

The words whispering in The blonde's ears make him blush to his ears and he squirms under the staring reflection of his partner in the mirror of his bedroom. Tomo's arms had wound around him in a circle and pulled them close together. He had no other place to look to than the image of the both of them together. It was sure nice to be on school break about now, otherwise he woud have been far behind by now.

"Thank... Thank you, Tomo," he responds with his heart pounding in his ears. "But... Heh, it's just an ugly uniform, for the... The documentation sector."

Shivers go through him as the vamp smoothed out the non existent wrinkles in the long sleeved back and white uniform he wore, though it was a little big and hung off his shoulders a little bit. It almost would expose his skin underneath were it not for the black undershirt he wore to keep from being exposed. Tomo wore a tight fitting satin crop top that showed off his stomach like always, and black leather pants.

"I know, but... It still looks nice. On you that is."

Yusuke smiles and turns around in Tomo's arms to stare up in his eyes, noting their colorful but subtle magenta glow as a gentle gaze on his face. His flawless brunette hair was swept to the side and his skin was literally glowing. To have come this far in only a day, to see the emotions swimming between them so beautifully in the open was truly something. Their bond was becoming strong and impossible to escape, especially what had happened only hours ago. Along with all the talking and stories of their pasts, that kiss was first and foremost on his mind.

The blonde could still feel his lips tingling from when they made contact with his own. That was the first time anything like that had ever happened to him. And it was incredibly nice. He found himself wanting more of it, despite the fact that he wasn't even sure what 'this' relationship was between them. Yet Tomo must have read his mind for not a moment later, he found them kissing once more.

Slow and trusting, their lips synchronized so perfectly it seemed almost scary. Feeling Tomo's hands cradling his face he can't help but to sigh quietly in bliss. After a moment, they break off to cling closer together.

"Tomo," he murmured after a brief moment of just standing.

"Hm?" The vamp hums and holds onto him tighter.

"...Can I ask you a question?"

"Of course you can. You can ask me anything, Yusuke."

The blonde pulls away and looks up, nuzzling his face against Tomo's palm.

"Well, this thing between us... This relationship... Us, what exactly are we? Are we... Together?"

Tomo is surprised for a brief second before his lips find the curve of Yusuke's cheekbones.

"Don't worry. We're whatever you want us to be."

That alone was enough to comfort his troubled mind and he left it at that.

"Come on," He says and finally manages to put space between them. "We should get going if we want to make it to registration on time."

====================================

After that they left to actually go into the city itself. It was very beautiful out here, the sky was clear and a beautiful shade of light bue dotted with blips of white. Like a pretty painting left incomplete.

Yusuke didn't know how he would ever be able to focus on the sky though, as pretty as it was. The entire time they walked along the terrastone sidewalks under the tall glistening sky scrapers, Tomo's hand had always protectively clutched onto his own no matter what. There were plenty of other pairs like them in the streets though, dressed in similar striped uniforms. These uniforms were given to them prior to their coming of age ceremonies a few weeks ago, in case they were ever paired up.

The blonde shifted so he could weave their fingers together and looked away in embarrassment. There were people watching him and it made him feel so small, but apparently Tomo wasn't bothered by it.

"So, what exactly are we going to do once we reach this registration building?" He says casually with a husky voice. In response Yusuke tightens his grip.

"Well... They have to take down your information and give you a number-"

"Number? What for?"

"Don't worry, it will just be my apartment number so they know where you will be and not loose in the city..."

Tomo still seems troubled and a cease forms in his brow.

"But... I won't have any reason to wander around? How could I possibly leave you behind..."

Yusuke realizes that it has upset Tomo and tsked his tongue.

"Please, relax Tomo," He pleaded and tugged on his arm. "They're being cautious and making sure that... That an incident doesn't happen again..."

He swallowed as he remembered last year and what had happened. Tomo raised a brow and looked down to Yusuke's height.

"Incident?"

Yusuke sighed and started to explain.

"A vampira decided his human wasn't good enough to keep around and decided to go rogue in the city, killing about 5 people and hurting over 50 altogether. That was all when this number system happened to exist, and he couldn't be caught until about two months later when he killed some poor girl behind a school building. He was killed immediately by being starved to death. After that, the Government decided it would be best to keep tabs on humans and their vamps. You know? So... That's why this system is in place, to keep us safe."

Of course, there was always something that had to happen for this sort of thing to exist. Tomo felt more than a little sheepish for complaining and looks forward again, squinting at the bright sunlight.

"I see... What.. What happened to the human?"

Yusuke's fingers tighten and he stops walking to take a breath, making Tomo stop as well.

"He died. Jumped from a building because of how heart broken he was after saying how much he was in love with the vamp who left him. That destroyed him, so I understand why he did it."

"And what would you do if I were to ever leave?" Tomo asked lowly and seriously. Yusuke stiffened visibly and lowered his eyes to the ground. Maybe he shouldn't have asked.

"I... I wouldn't be able to answer that without making you upset," he says quietly. "But don't ever ask me that again, please..."

Tomo's serious mask instantly evaporates once the evidence of moisture starts to well up in his eyes and he's rushing forward to comfort the human in his arms, shooshing and petting his pretty blonde hair.

"Shh it's okay Yusuke," he purrs in a soft rumbling voice. "You won't ever have to worry about that, because I can never ever think about leaving you behind... Not after you've ensnared me in your web so very tightly already. I'd rather stay and live in the web rather than try to escape."

"Promise?" Yusuke sniffles and burrows closer. "Do you promise to never leave me?"

Tomo smiled and held his body firmly yet gently, pressing the gentlest of kisses to his hair.

"I promise."

I will always be here to protect you.

TBC