27.

I spent a few days in bed, suffering from sadness and mild cramps. Father was no help. All I craved was sympathy.

Father had enlisted, it was done, it was final but in fact it still felt slightly surreal. Up until now he was the only permanent feature in my life- now, like everyone else, he was fading away into my distant memory until I would no longer even remember his name.

He'd been spending time in London with his mother and sister. Mother had been job hunting and Harry had a three day cricket torment in Wales. I was all alone, for now.

Forever.

I yonderly ambled around the halls in the gloom of the house. The walls were as dark as my mind and my mind was as dark as the walls.

There was a light knock from the door but what important person could it be? No doubt it was a Jehovah's Witness or a window and doors salesman. I ignored it. But then, strangely, the letterbox flew open, a hand stretched inside and a crumpled piece of paper floated to the floor.

Anxiously, I tiptoed to the door- looking threw the spy-hole before reaching for the note. No one was outside, nor was anything left for me but this letter.

I unfolded the lined paper with caution. I had no idea what to expect. It wasn't customary that Jehovah's Witnesses left letters to let you know they were about. Neither did this look formal. What was this?

The crumpled paper was scrawled on with red pencil, messily and quick.

come to Baker Lane with a thousand pounds too see Hardin again

The note was short, demanding and almost scary. I locked the front door without hesitation and ran around the back- seeing Angelica in her garden as per. I waved in a panic- she looked peaceful.

"Hello darling." She called when she noticed me.

"Angelica, I was wondering if you'd seen anyone at the front door. Anyone suspicious?" I inquired.

"No dear I haven't, why? What's happened?" She asked curiously, pulling her sunglasses down to the tip of her nose- sitting up on her sun-lounger.

"Oh, nothing." I smiled sweetly. My insides were bubbling with nausea.

I jogged around the alley on the backside of my house, out the front and onto the street. I don't know why- I had no idea what to do. Going to the police sounded logical but since men were in need overseas to fight not many police station were up and running- not the local one anyway.

I ran over to Hardin's house and banged hard on the white double doors. His father opened.

"Hello?" He said curiously.

"Hi, I'm uh, Louisa... Finch. I live at 52." I introduced, pointing over to my house.

"Course." He smiled. "Hardin's friend."

"Yep." I nodded. "I had a question."

"Hardin's not in a the moment."

That's all I really needed.

"Uh, do you know where he is?" I asked, desperately trying to keep from a panic attack.

"Last I heard he was with Charming, they were supposed to be going to Cecil Drive to pick up Susa. Then they said they were going to a bar on New Baker Lane." He recalled.

"Thanks." I said breathlessly, jogging off of the drive. Baker Lane was at least three miles away, public transport made me shaky but I still wasn't old enough to drive. One month. One month until my birthday. Fuck.

I was left clueless, pondering on the corner of our street until a car engine revved behind me, then a beep. I turned to see a familiar Mercedes. I walked over while the window to the car rolled down.

"Charming, I need your help." I begged.

"Get in." He said sternly, the antithesis to his usual funny self. I got in though.

"I've been driving up and down the town for an hour looking for Hardin. Where the fuck do you think he's got to?" Charming rhetorically asked.

"I got a note." I blurted. Charming stopped the car at a set of red lights and looked at me with a hard glare.

"Signed by?"

"No name, just scruffy handwriting and a lack of punctuation." I said handing him the note.

"That fucker." Charming sighed.

"What?" I mumbled.

"That time we spent the night at the park, we got chased home." Charming began "they've been sending notes to us, more threatening each time. Last week Peaches was sent a note asking for Flux's address- they threatened her mother unless she gave it. She had to write on a piece of paper and leave it behind the recycling bin by Harry's house."

"You really think they have Hardin?"

"I hope not."

Charming roared off, faster then I thought possible. He pulled up into Baker lane, a cheap, grungey place most young teenagers were told to avoid. He parked up the car besides the pub they were supposed to be going to. We got out.

The streets were graffitied and the pathway was drenched in bubbling alcohol and piss. Around the area were blocks of rundown flats, huge bins and garages, drugdeal spots, a newsagent and this bar. No one was around, nor was there any sign of Hardin.

"This is dangerous. We haven't got their money. What are we going to do?" I worried. Charming had a calm, stern look on his face- his jaw was clenched and he looked almost annoyed. He pulled out his wallet, which was thicker then most at this age, and pulled out several twenty pound notes- handing all of them to me.

"They won't be expecting me here. They wanted you to give them the money. So do it. Let's wait."

So we did. Charming lit up a cigarette while he leaned on the wall of the pub.

"Do you know how dirty that wall is?" I asked quietly- so's not to anger him further, I'd never seen him so angry.

"I don't know, do you?" He asked. I shook my head no.

A few people popped in and out of the bar- the flats too- and of course we saw a few live drugdeals but no sign of Hardin or the note writer.

Opposite us stood a tanned boy- dressed head to toe in scruffy attire. He'd just completed several drugdeals but after his business had died down, he was still stood waiting. Every now and then he'd look over cautiously, checking us. I'd look away whenever he caught me staring.

"Oi." He stage whispered over the street to us. I panicked, like I do with this disorder, and my tongue knotted in my mouth. Charming spoke up though, taking a step forward.

"Yeah, what?" He said matching the other boys tone.

"You waiting for Jake?" He asked commonly.

"No, what's it to you?" Charming shrugged, putting out his smoke.

"You waiting for someone else?" He asked with a cocky smirk.

"Might be." Charming replied.

"Hardin?" He asked and both Charming and I's jaws dropped. Charming was more subtle with his surprise.

"You little shit." Charming mumbled taking another stride forward. The other boy held up his hands in innocence. Immoral innocence. "I'm just the messenger."

"Where the fuck is he I swear to god-" Charming pointed.

"Let's talk money." He smiled showing his gold and missing teeth. I held up the wad of paper money I was holding in my hands.

He turned around to the garage behind him, pulling up the doorknob revealing Hardin tied to a wooden chair, a gag in his mouth and half of his head shaved. Me and Charming hurried over, untying him ourselves while it looked like this boy wasn't prepared to.

I crouched down, panicky and teary eyed while I fumbled for the rope that tied Hardin's feet together. Charming undid his gag and hand tie. I took Hardin's hand, chucking the money into the boys chest while the three of us made a rushed escape to the car.

"Go." Hardin whimpered. Charming fumbled for the keys. "DRIVE!"