1

Ashley pulled off the  blood stained gloves that clung to her hands and discarded them in the bin opposite her. Her mind was racing and the past events replayed in her mind over and over again. Without a doubt it was the worst surgery she had ever encountered, nothing seemed to make sense. She thought back to the body of the man lying in the room behind her.

'It just doesn't seem to make sense' she thought out loud, quickly glancing around to make sure no one was witnessing her confused mumbling. 'He can't have lost so much blood; there was no major wound to have caused such blood loss. I checked and he was fine.' Inevitably losing a patient affected every doctor, even though it came with the job it is still damaging to lose a life. But go Ashley, the event was even more dreadful, she lost a man she could surely have saved, she just didn't understand how she had lost him and this damaged her even more.

Ideas and confusion continued to capture Ashley's mind as she went walking through the corridors and straight into the back of someone, her unsuspecting victim stumbled, dropping the pile of perfectly folded towels that were bundled into his arms. "Oh shit sorry, i wasn't looking where i was going." Ashley quickly apologised, mentally scolding herself for once again, not being with it.

The figure dressed in blue turned round, he was quite short and wore glasses. His face was kind but he seemed stressed. "It's okay no harm done, not like i've just spent 20 minutes folding the bloody things" the man replied, his tone was snappy and although Ashley understood why, it still hurt her, she really felt as though she couldn't do anything right today. The man was now on the floor picking up his towels as Ashley spoke again. "Let me help you, i'm so sorry. My head was somewhere else completely" she then also sunk to the floor, gathering and refolding the hospital towels.

The man glanced over at her and noticed her hands were shaking and her eyes looked red and puffy as if the ocean had just left them. Despite his mood he decided to act like the decent person he really was. "Are you okay? You look like you've been crying and i know it's none of my business but if you want to talk about it, I can offer my ears?" He looked at Ashley with a comforting smile and extended his hand to help her off the floor; she took his hand and smiled back.

"George by the way, My name is George Sands" the man added still holding onto her hand. He smile was warming and Ashley decided this man could possibly help her, not to solve her mystery but to at least feel better. "Pleasure to meet you Mr Sands, i'm Ashley Green and i have just had possibly the worst surgery of my whole career."

"How about we go down to our amazing hospital canteen, i will buy you a coffee and you can tell me all about it?" George asked. "That may well be exactly what I need, thank you " Ashley replied and with that George lead Ashley down the corridor carrying his pile of towels proudly. George made small talk about the importance of his job as 'towel man'. Ashley admired his attempts at humour but still couldn't seem to escape the terrible feeling she had within her.

They came to a little room and George stopped. A figure emmerged from the room, he had tanned skin and curly brown hair which cascaded down his face before stopping at his cheeks, he had stubble and the most beautiful smile Ashley had ever seen. She could feel herself beginning to blush as the figure directed his attention her way. "So George i send you to get some towels and you bring back a lady friend." the figure said chuckling; his irish accent rang in Ashley's ears like some sort of sweet song.

"Actually Mitchell my lady friend is a doctor who is in need of some comforting so i am going to treat her to a coffee and a good listener-" he turned to Ashley with a beaming smile "that's me by the way". He then turned back to Mitchell and continued "-whilst you finish off the towels." George replied matter of factly before dropping the towels in Mitchell's hands, he looked and laughed then looked at Ashley again "Mitchell" he said with a nod and a smile; Ashley smiled back and simply said "Ashley". She felt her cheeks heat up as they made eye contact, there was something about him that intrigued her. She then turned round and followed George again, who had skipped off down the corridor, ignoring the fact his new friend wasn't behind him. As Ashley walked she could fell Mitchell's gaze burn into her back.