2

George walked to the Canteen quizzing Ashley about her life. Once they had estalished she was 24 years old, was a doctor (and had the university debt to prove it) , shared a flat with her friend Rosie and had no family they where at the counter.

"Two Coffees please" George said. The unhappy looking girl at the checkout handed them two cups of cheap instant coffee- it tasted horrible but what could they expect from the hospital? George walked to a table and sat down."What made you want to be a doctor then?" George asked. "Well, I've fit a bit of a backstory to be honest" she began "when i was little me and my dad used to go out on walks, we would be out for hours strolling over the hills and into the woods. we would even go on walking holidays" Ashley stated whilst smiling at the happy memories in her head , George noticed this and smiled at her then her face turned cold and she continued "my dad suffered a fall one day when we were out- he slipped on a rock and rolled down the hill, hitting his head. I screamed and ran down the hill to see him- i tried shouting for help but there was no one around. He was coughing up blood and had a big cut on his head, he grabbed my arm, he knew he was dying and said 'don't leave me here, i love you so much, just sit with me and tell me a story' Tears where erupting from my eyes and loud sobs left my mouth but i sat and held him in my arms as i told him my favourite story he always used to tell me. When i finished i looked back at him and he was gone." Ashley looked back at George and wiped the tears from her eyes. "I was only 10 but i remember thinking i wouldnt be that helpless ever again, I was furious, if I'd ran I could have got help but he wouldn't have survived. I knew nothing so I wanted to change. I would be able to save people so i did medical courses and went to medical school and here i am" she said gesturing to the hospital.

George now also had tears in his eyes "i'm so sorry. I think he would be so proud of you" George whispered, grabbing her hand. Ashley just smiled. After a short pause Ashley and george carried on their conversation she asked him about himself and learnt he too, had no family and he lived with Mitchell and had suffered an accident 2 years ago that left him working in a job he was far to good for. Apparently his IQ was something to marvel at.

Then the pair got onto the topic of her sugery and George listened as Ashley explained the man had been brought in having been attacked in the park but there was no blood at the crime scene and his body showed no major wounds. She explained how she was treating his broken bones when they machine started bleeping and the man started dying- he was crtitically low in blood. Ashley finished her story, looked at George and said "his injuries weren't that bad, how did he lose so much blood and where did it go?". George just stared at her then shrugged knowing exactly what type of attack that man had been a victim to, but knowing he couldn't tell the girl, he was conflicted seeing the stress it caused her yet remaining quiet.

They kept talking until Mitchell appeared around the corner of the canteen. "I should go" Ashley stated getting up from the table "thank you for everything, it's really helped, I'll see you around sometime" she whispered, kissing George on the cheek. She walked past Mitchell giving him a smile which he lazily returned. Mitchell wandered to George who was touching his cheek and laughed "you've done well there mate!". George just looked at his best friend solemnly "I think there's something you should know-' he began.