Chapter 7

I woke up around midday to the smell of food. My stomach growled at the smell, and I sat up. I rubbed my eyes and shielded them from the sunlight. It hurt my newly sensitive eyes, and I turned away.

"Sorry, I should've closed the curtains," Damon said. He walked over and closed the curtains so the sunlight was gone.

My eyes adjusted within milliseconds, and I looked at Damon. I hadn't realized how attractive he was since I was too caught up with what was happening last night to notice. Damn, he was attractive.

He had shortly cropped jet black hair, stunning bright blue eyes, and a build of an all star athlete. Not to mention he looked devilishly handsome. Then again, I suppose all vampires are supposed to be devilishly beautiful because they're supposedly part devil. At least, that's always what my grandmother told me.

"What time is it?" I asked.

Damon glanced at the time. "One thirty."

"You let me sleep until one thirty?" I exclaimed. Crap, I must've been exhausted.

"Let me rephrase that," Damon said. "It's one thirty on Tuesday."

"What?" I asked. "No. No way. It's Monday. There's no way I slept for a whole day and a half. That's impossible."

"Newly turned vampires can sleep up to a week so their bodies can adjust to being nocturnal," Damon explained. "Being part werewolf shortens that, I suppose, since werewolves have the same sleeping schedule as humans. You're in luck."

"I hardly count being half werewolf and half vampire lucky," I said sourly.

Damon smiled thinly. "I know. I thought the same when I was first turned."

"Why were you turned?" I blurted out. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to pry. I don't really have a filter sometimes."

Damon chuckles slightly. "It's alright. I was turned because my Creator wanted to torture me."

"Why would they want to do that?"

"That's a story for another time. Now let me ask you a question."

"Alright, ask away."

"Why were you turned?"

I sighed and twirled my thumbs around. "A vampire and a werewolf both wanted me to be one of them. Look how well that turned out."

"Could be worse."

I laughed once. "How?"

"Well, you could be a bloodthirsty undead murderous vampires. Be glad you still have a heartbeat and can pass off as human."

I was quiet. I guess it could be worse. I mean, I could be dead. I'm supposed to be dead, I shouldn't have survived both bites. Cory even said I should be dead, but I'm not.

"How come there are no other hybrids?" I asked suddenly.

Damon shrugged. "Nobody has ever survived a bite from both a werewolf and a vampire. You're the first to live. And if any have that I don't know of, I presume their dead."

"Why would they be dead?"

"Considered a threat. An abomination of nature. And before you ask, there's three types of creatures: witches, vampires, and werewolves. A hybrid is considered an abomination because it can't be classified into one of those things. They're also dangerous, because they have their own special abilities. And so I presume they're killed."

I swallowed thickly. "Will I be killed?"

"Not if you play your cards correctly." Damon looked at me intensely. "You'll be fine, I promise. I'm gonna help you."