Chapter 8

After I showered and ate the pancakes Damon made from me, we went into town. I started to walk towards Hot Topic, the store I usually shop at, but Damon pulled me back.

"Oh, no you don't," he said. "Not that store."

"What?" I asked. "Why not? What's wrong with it?"

"You're not your old self anymore, Tyler," Damon reminded. "If you wear the same clothes as you did, someone is bound to recognize you. And you're supposed to be dead, remember?"

I rolled my eyes. "I don't look like my old self anymore. I had dark auburn hair when I was human, now I have brown."

Damon looked at my hair. "I can see a reddish tint to it in some lights."

"Whatever. I just don't think people will automatically recognize me if I wear the same clothes I always have. Not when I look so different."

"Your clothes were pretty noticeable," Damon said. "When I had to go to your room-"

"What were you doing in my room?" I demanded, whirling around to look at him.

Damon gave me a cautious look. "Relax, I was there so I could grab some things you'd want to take with you. I got some photographs of your human for you, since you seem to care about her more than your family. I just happened to see your wardrobe when I was looking."

"Oh," I said. "I do care about my family, and it makes me sad that they think I'm dead, but they weren't always the best of people to me. I was sort of the black sheep of the family, so I was mostly forgotten and the least important."

Damon nodded. "I'm sorry. I know what it's like, being forgotten."

I laughed. "How? Don't take this the wrong way, but you are decent to look at. Any girl wouldn't forget about you once they saw you."

Damon smiled. "Thanks for admitting I'm attractive."

"I didn't say that," I said.

"It was implied," Damon said. "Anyway, I wasn't talking about with other people. My family always focused on the youngest. Since he's the baby, he deserved the most attention. I guess that's what they thought. So, I learned to just kinda take care of myself."

"You have a sibling?" I asked.

Damon nodded. "A younger brother. He's about your age, maybe a year or two older. How old are you?"

"Seventeen," I said.

"Jace is nineteen," he said. "He's actually one person who I know can help you with your other side."

I frowned. "How?"

Damon looked at me. "He's a werewolf. Duh."

"Oh." I was quiet. "So, if he's a werewolf and you're a vampire, so you two get along?"

Damon laughed. "No, we don't. We used to when we were younger, but since I turned into a vampire, we can't stand each other."

"Then why are you bringing me to him to help?"

"Because as crazy as this sounds, I actually kind of like you. You've been decent so far, and I feel like you could use some help. I had no one to help me when I was Turned, and I know how horrible that was. I don't want you to feel that way."

"Oh. Well, thank you for helping me out. You don't have to, I could learn by myself."

Damon shook his head. "No, you should know how the ways of vampire and werewolves work. Besides, you're a hybrid. Once someone finds that out, they'll kill you. I want to make sure you don't get killed."