48: Crash and Burn

Evie's POV:

It has now been about thirty minutes since we left the church and most of the people who had become our family. I was still sitting next to Tara, but now with Vera in my arms since she was hungry and I needed to feed her. She's still awake and is cooing as I hum to her.

Glenn keeps glancing back at the both of us with a guilty face. He knows I'm upset with him for making us go on this road trip with the 'world saving trio' without even talking to me about it first.  Honestly that is something that I'd usually be able to get past, but him agreeing to go on this trip means that he believes Eugene over me, and that is what really stings.

Rosita was sitting in the seat directly behind Abraham and she was playing with his hair as he drove us. "It's getting a little messy." Rosita told the ginger about his hair as she continued playing with it.

"Gettin' ready for retirement. Relaxin' the grooming standards. Thinking about becoming a plumber."  He replied while not taking his eyes off the road for even one second.

"Yeah, I heard Mario and Luigi were looking for a new brother to join their business." Auggie quipped and I heard a few soft chuckles come from everyone, clearly understanding the reference.

Abraham then did his best italian impression, "It's a me, Abraham." The impression was just so terrible, it made us all laugh. He sighed and smiled before going back to his regular voice. "Or maybe I'll be a sheepherder or something."

"You ain't herding sheep now, Abraham." Rosita said to him while continuing to tangle her fingers in his hair. "Eyes on the prize."

"Damn right. That's my girl." He smiled slightly at her through the rearview mirror before putting his eyes back on the road. "Maybe I'll let you shave me down all over, dolphin-smooth."

"Ew." I commented. "Watch what your sayin', there's children's ears present."

"Oh relax, Momma-bear." Abraham slightly chuckled. "The baby doesn't understand."

"No, but Auggie's still here." I shook my head. 

"Right." Abraham nodded. "Well, he'll understand one day."

"Oh, I understand plenty." Auggie groaned and I sighed. Of course he understood. He may be eleven, but he's not an idiot. "I'm just glad you didn't go into detail."

"Hey," Tara's voice broke up the awkwardness as she spoke to Eugene. "Maybe Rosita can give you a trim while she's at it. That party's getting a little long in the back. Or is it your source of power?"

I rolled my eyes at her question, His only "source of power" is his ability to lie. He has everyone else here believing that he will save the world, but I know that he won't. Because he can't. He's lying to everyone else in order to keep his ass safe. 

I mean, it is a smart tactic if you think about it. Eugene is essentially useless, which means he needs people who will protect him no matter what. Except this world, you mostly have to fight for yourself. He wanted to ensure his safety, so he created a lie that everyone would want to believe. I guess I'm just the only person smart enough to be able to see through the cloud of deception.

"I ain't slaying a lion anytime soon." Eugene started replying to Tara. "I wouldn't be placing any wagers on seeing me dispatch a thousand Philistines with the jawbone of an ass."

"So you'll just settle of saving the world, right?" Tara asked and I groaned. I wish everyone would just believe me. I get why they want to believe in the mumbo-jumbo Eugene is feeding to them, but it's ridiculous. 

Eugene nodded and Tara could see there was something bothering the man. I obviously know what's wrong with him. The first thing is the fact of what we had to do last night. All that bloodshed was more than intense, but it was necessary. The other reason is because he's lying and he doesn't want anyone else to figure it out.