[02] not a perfect soldier, but a good man

RISE

[02] not a perfect soldier, but a good man

"I'll be right here," Daisy assured Steve. She sat in a small chair outside the curtain that Steve had just went through. She was confused when she saw different people, multiple, going in and out, but she'll just save her questions for later.

After a couple of uneventful minutes, Daisy stood up once Steve and an older man with glasses walk out. She didn't know who he was, but by the serious looks on their faces, they must be talking about something important.

"Hello there, how may I help you?" One of the ladies that worked there asked her with a forced smile.

"I'm just waiting for my friend," Daisy politely smiled in response. The lady nodded and walked away. Daisy started to walk towards Steve as he began to open up a file, which put a relieved expression on his face once he read it.

"Hey, what's up?" Daisy stood right beside him.

"I'm now accepted. . ." he replied, showing her the file as a smile grew on his face.

Daisy jumped in excitement, her face lighting up like it was Christmas — she was truly happy for him. "Steve! That's incredible!" she hugged him tightly. With his heart racing, Steve returned the hug by wrapping his arms around her waist, burying his face into her lavender-scented hair.

➶ ➶ ➶

Steve was the only recruit who wasn't talking before Peggy Carter showed up.

"Recruits, attention!" All the men in line shut their mouths, standing up straighter with their heads facing straight, too, at her order.

"Gentlemen, I'm Agent Carter. I supervise all operations for this division." The brunette walked back and forth with a confident swagger.

"What's with the accent, Queen Victoria?" someone commented, "I thought I was signing up for the U.S. army?"

"What's your name, soldier?" Peggy stopped in front of the man, facing towards him.

"Gilmore Hodge, your majesty!" he joked around.

"Step forward, Hodge." He did as he was told. "Put your right foot forward."

"Hm, we gonna play around? 'Cause I got a few moves I know you'll like," Hodge winked right at her before she punched him square in the jaw, him falling to the floor from the impact. All the recruits, including Steve, tried holding in their laughs.

"Agent Carter," Colonel Phillips called her name as he got out of a car, along with Dr. Erskine, the man with Steve from earlier.

Peggy saluted the man, "Colonel Phillips."

"I can see that you are breaking in the canidates, that's good." He encouraged her, "Get your ass up outta' that dirt and stand in that line at attention until somebody comes and tells you what to do!" he ordered the man on the ground.

Hodge immediately stood up and got back in line. "Yes, sir!"

Colonel Phillips looked around. "General Patton has said, 'Wars are fought with weapons, but they are won by men.' We are going to win this war because we have the best men," he stopped and stared down at Steve for a few seconds before continuing. "And because they are gonna get better. Much better. The Strategic Scientific Reserve is an allied effort made up of the best minds in the free world. Our goal is to create the best army in history. But, every army starts with one man. At the end of this week, we will choose that man. He will be the first in a new breed of super-soldiers. And they will personally escort Adolf Hitler through the gates of Hell."