[03] the right partner

RISE

[3] the right partner

"Daisy Smith — Is she allowed to go?" Steve hesitated to ask, but didn't want to go through the procedure without his best friend. He wanted her to be there for her, and of course she wanted to be there for him, too.

Dr. Erskine removed the glass away from his mouth, raising an eyebrow at the mention of the young lady. "What's your reason?" Steve didn't know how to respond and he stumbled over his words.

Dr. Erskine let out a laugh and reached forward, placing his hand on Steve's shoulder. "Of course, If you'd like."

➶ ➶ ➶

"Ms. Smith!" Dr. Erskine caught her attention once he walked into the medical tent that same night.

Daisy looked up, smiling slightly, "Yes?"

"Mr. Rogers requested for me to bring you to the procedure to tomorrow," he informed her quietly, "Would you like to go?"

Daisy's eyes brightened in excitement. She'd love to be there for him, and she was eager to see how things will turn out. "Of course, sir. Thank you!"

➶ ➶ ➶

"I know this neighborhood," Steve told Peggy right as they were passing an old alleyway. He pointed out every place that they passed by, out for her. "I got beat up in that alley. . . And that parking lot." He looked down at his hands and played with his fingers that sat on his lap. "And that diner."

Peggy felt sorry for him, her heart falling. She wondered why people would do such horrible things like that to such a kind-hearted man. "Did you have something against running away? Why didn't you?" She kept her gaze forward.

Shaking his head, Steve looked up. "You start running, they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back. . . You can't say no forever, right?" He then started to think about the words that Daisy had told him that one day. In a flash, he smiled at the small memory, the lovely moment the two of them shared.

He remembered the small kiss that she had gave him, and he would never forget it. "I promised someone that I would never run away from a bully, and that I would keep fighting back," Steve explained.

"Is that friend of yours, Ms. Smith?" Peggy asked him. She fought revealing the slight smirk hidden on her lips.

Looking up at her, his eyes widened as his cheeks turned a faint red, "What? How did you know?"

"The look you give her whenever she walks by," Peggy chuckles, her focus still forward and on the road.

"She's such a beautiful dame," he whispered, but Peggy heard him. "Or a beau—a woman. Not a dame—I mean, she is beautiful." Steve sighed at the thought of her and stumbled over his words, mostly mumbling to his own self.

Peggy looked down at him, amusement written across her face. "You do not know how to talk to a woman, do you?"

"This is the second, longest conversation I've probably had with one," the corners of Steve's lips curved. "Women aren't exactly lining up with someone that they might step on."

"You must have danced," she looked over at him again.

Thinking of the breathtaking blonde that he calls his best friend, "Well, the past few years, I didn't have to worry about asking a lady. I only worried about asking her." Peggy knew exactly who he was talking about, and she smiled.