What to Do, What to Do?

Austin let Ally cry for a good ten minutes. Then he lifted her head off his chest and wiped her tears away.  

"Ally, calm down. You are a smart, talented, beautiful, amazing girl who will not let these people affect you." Ally sighed. 

"I don't know. I mean, I know that some of the people were just jerks and idiots, but...there were too many nasty comments for them all to be jerks and idiots." Austin lead her to the porch swing, and they both sat down. Ally put her head against his shoulder. "Oh, Austin. Why don't they like me?" she whispered helplessly. 

"Because," he comforted. "They're jealous. They want to be like you, they want to be you, but they don't think they'll ever be good enough. Putting you down is the only way they can feel good about themselves." 

Ally frowned to herself. "But I don't want to make people feel bad-" Austin shook his head. 

"I know how much you care about other people, and that's one of the many reasons I like you so much. But you need to understand. It's not you. It's one-hundred percent their problem," he interrupted. "So don't let it bother you. We will find a way to let everyone see just how awesome you are." 

"Are you sure?" 

"I promise. But it's kind of late for this. Maybe you should get some sleep, and first thing tomorrow we'll figure out what to do." Austin helped Ally out of her seat. Ally wrapped her arms around him. 

"Thanks for always being there for me Austin. You really know how to cheer me up," she said. She kissed his neck and tiptoed inside so her dad wouldn't hear her. 

Austin smiled to himself. All he ever wanted was to make Ally happy. When she smiled at him, he felt like he was melting. She was the girl of his dreams, and he didn't know why it had taken him so long to realize that. 

As he walked home, his phone vibrated with a text from Ally. Just seeing her name and face on the little screen warmed him. 

-hey 

-go 2 sleep! ;) 

-i cant... 

-have u evn tried? 

-...... 

-thats wat i thot. nite sleeping beauty <3 

-goodnite <3 

_____________________________________________________________________________ 

The next morning, Ally awoke with a start. Someone was knocking on her door... 

"Ally! Wake up!" Trish called through her locked door. Ally sat up and groaned. 

"I'm awake, I'm awake." She made her way over to her door and let Trish in. 

"Hey girl!" Trish exclaimed. Ally rolled her eyes. 

"Trish, you're way too perky for...what time is it?" Trish gave Ally a confused look.  

"It's almost eleven o'clock...how late were you up last night? Usually you're up by eight!" Ally turned to look at the clock. 10:48, it read. How was that possible? She set the alarm on her phone for seven am every day on the weekends because she loved the morning. Everything was peaceful and quiet, and morning was always the time before all of the chaos of the day. Plus, she liked to see her dad for breakfast before he left to open the shop. 

"That's so weird...well I was pretty upset of course. Austin came over, but only for like half an hour." Ally explained. 

"I'm still getting used to the fact that you two are an item!" Trish squealed.