It Was Nice...Until it Wasn't

Once arriving home, Ally had just enough time to check herself in the mirror before she heard the doorbell ring downstairs. She briskly stepped to the front door, and opened it to see Austin waiting for her. She smiled.

"Dad, I'm leaving now,"she called. Her dad replied with a goodbye, and Ally gave Austin a hug. "Let's go!" They walked out to Austin's car. 

"Your ride, Miss Dawson," he teased, opening the car door for her. Ally giggled, and slipped into her seat, as Austin went around to the driver's seat.

"Okay, I want this to be a total surprise," she reminded him. "So don't give anything away."

"Good. It wouldn't work out as well if you knew what I had planned." 

"Aw, now you're making me want to know!" Ally exclaimed. Austin shook his head, and pretended to zip his lips, before pulling out of the driveway. He turned the radio on, and Ally began singing along. Austin smiled to himself, hearing her harmonize without fear of anyone else hearing her. It was her song that she saved for him.

The car ride was relatively quick. Ally realized they were at a park, but it wasn't one she was familiar with. It had a large area, with grassy fields and concrete paths outlined by tall trees. "I hope you don't mind that there's a bit of a walk," Austin said. Ally shrugged.

"It's fine with me, but how long will it take? I'm just curious."

"Not long, five to ten minutes," he informed. They set out walking, hand in hand. 

Ally didn't know what to anticipate for the night. No matter what it was, she was sure it would be fine, with Austin by her side, but still, her tendency to over think pretty much everything was making a really irritating comeback, at a bad time. Because she wanted to show Austin how much she appreciated this night, and him, and when she was anxious, that never worked. 

 Finally Austin began to slow down. Ally was so preoccupied by her thoughts, that she didn't notice, until Austin put his hand on her shoulder. "Okay, I'm going to lead you a few yards, close your eyes," he instructed. Ally obliged, and let him guide her for a couple of minutes. 

"Are we almost there?" she couldn't help but ask. 

"Actually...we are here! Okay, now I'm going to count down from ten, and then you can open your eyes." Ally nodded in understanding. "Okay, ten, nine, eight, seven six, five, four, three, two, one!" 

Ally opened her eyes. Her mouth opened, too, but she was utterly speechless. A hot air balloon rested on the grass.  "I-I-is that...for us?"  Austin grinned.

"Yep. Surprise!" 

"I-I love you! And this! And everything! I love it all so much! This is amazing! And we haven't even done anything yet!" Ally exclaimed. She kissed Austin's cheek and squeezed him tightly. He laughed. 

"I'm so glad you like it, I was really worried you wouldn't," he admitted.

"Austin. You know I appreciate everything you do for me, no matter what."

"Thanks. Now should we fly?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ally peered over the side of the basket as it rose higher and higher. She still was having a bit of trouble processing everything that was happening around her, and she was also a little guilty that she had worried so much before. She should have known Austin would find a way to make everything perfect. He always managed to.

His arm was around her, and she leaned into him, the wind lightly blowing though her hair. "So, what do you think?" he asked.

"Honestly, words cannot describe...how epic this is. I mean, I could say again that this is amazing, but that just wouldn't cut it." Austin smiled at her.