Broken

Ally knew Austin was walking behind her, and she knew soon he would be next to her. But she didn't turn around. She wanted to see how Austin would act to her un-Ally like way of dealing with this problem.

Because they both knew that normally, she would try to work things out, straightaway. She didn't usually run away from arguments. But she was feeling something that she wasn't used to, something that hurt, deep inside her.

No, it wasn't anger. Ally refused to admit she was angry. Angry was never good, angry meant you couldn't think rationally and anger was so contagious, that you never knew where it would end up. Ally refused to have such an uncontrollable feeling.

It was different than anger, but more than just plain hurt. Whatever it was, it was changing her. While she was kind of secretly glad Austin was so protective of her, it also disappointed her that he couldn't trust her when she told him the truth. And she had been very truthful, time and time again. But apparently that wasn't enough for him.

So she let him make his move. She kept walking.

Austin's mind reeled with reasons for why Ally might be acting so different. She was the same...but she wasn't. It wasn't like she had just changed, no, Austin knew she acted like this for a reason. She was testing him. And tests were not something Austin enjoyed.

Yet while he didn't want to play along, he felt compelled to. It was the easiest way to repair everything, and even if he still couldn't see exactly what he'd done wrong, he needed Ally, especially with all of the craziness back at his house.

He would do anything for the girl with the sparkle.

"Ally," he said softly, coming up behind her. She stopped.

"Yes? Make this quick, Austin. I've gotta walk home, and I've only got like half an hour."

"Don't be ridiculous. I'll drive you," he offered.

"No, I'll walk-" she began.

"Forget it, Ally, I'm not letting you walk across town at nine-thirty." he insisted.

"Maybe I don't want to-" Ally was interrupted again.

"Ally, this is a really stupid thing to argue about, and you know it." Ally sighed.

"Yeah. I do know it. I'm sorry," she mumbled, looking at the ground like a guilty seven year-old. Because that's how she felt like she was acting but she wasn't in the mood to give it up just yet. It was still Austin's turn.

"No, look. I'm sorry. I'm sorry for not believing you, and not listening to you, and whatever else I've done wrong, whichever actions I've ever done to hurt you," he apologized in a rush. His eyes were hopeful. But her eyes were dark.

"I accept your apology. I think it's sweet, I really do. I don't quite forgive you for to having any faith in me, though. That...that was very painful. So maybe that's the reason why I'm not quite myself right now. Maybe I'll be better by tomorrow. Or the day after that. Not long. Because I love you, and I know you love me. I don't want this to come between us. So I think...maybe, just until I can get over this, which, you know me, wont be awhile, I should just...kind of take a break?" It was more of a question, she cared about his opinion. Austin didn't like the sound of that, not at all.

"Are you like, breaking up with me? Again?"

"No! No, I'm not. All I'm saying is that...well, I don't really know what I'm saying. Or doing. But definitely not breaking up with you. Never again. Just...I'm just gonna kind of not talk to you tomorrow. Not ignore you. Are you understanding this? Because I don't know how else to put it," she explained. Austin nodded slowly.