Falsley Accused

ATHENA POV:

The rumors are getting ridiculous. Some people are saying that I work with Sirius Black or something! How stupid is that?! Anyways, bad news came to us today. We were all sitting in the common room silently when Harry's owl Hedwig came in. He gave Harry a note and Harry read over it, his eyes widening.  

"BuckBeak's been sentenced to death!" He cries. "Hagrid says its happening tomorrow."  

"Poor BuckBeak! We can't let this happen!" I say, standing up.  

"Lets wait until tomorrow. We'll go see Hagrid before it happens," Hermione suggests and we all agree, going back to our potions homework.

The next day we make our way down to Hagrid's little hut. I can hear loud sobs coming from inside as Ron knocks. A puffy eyed Hagrid answers, sniffling. Hagrid says he found Scabbers, Ron's rat, and give it back to him.  

"Don't you ever run away again!" Ron scolds the rat as it tries to wiggle out of his grasp. I gasp and jump back as Hagrid's flour cup breaks.  

"What the-ow!" Harry exclaims as something hits him in the head. "They're coming!" He says and I look out the window to see he's right.  

"When they knock, go outta the back door!" Hagrid orders us and we agree. Once we hear a knock, we rush out of the hut and through the pumpkin patch, hiding behind three big pumpkins. We watch as they talk and it seems like Uncle Albus is stalling them. Brilliant.  

"Please let's just go, I can't bear it!" Hermione begged and everyone agreed.  

"Scabbers shhh!! Someone's going to hear us!" Ron says. Scabbers was squirming wildly in Ron's hands.  

"Ron-please!" Hermione pleaded pulling him along and away from the hut.  

"OK-Scabbers-stay put-" Scabbers was squealing louder and louder.  

"Ron, can you please make your rat shut up?!" I say covering my ears. Behind me I could hear muffled voices and the the unmistakable drop of an axe. Hermione sucked in a breath.  

"They did it-I can't believe they actually did it!" She cries, holding back tears. Ron was seriously struggling with Scabbers, who had gone hysterical.  

"OUCH! He bit me!" Ron's grip loosened on Scabbers and he was trotting away. "Scabbers-No!" Ron yelled and ran after his rat. Harry, Hermione and I followed. Ron suddenly flew onto the ground. "Gotcha you dumb rat! Now stay put!" Ron was drowned out by the sound of massive paws bounding towards them. Attached to these paws was a massive, jet-black dog. I scream and launch myself out of the way as it throws itself at me. It goes for Harry next and hits him square in the chest. I grabs Ron swiftly by the arm and starts dragging him away like he weighs nothing.  

"Ron!" I call and run towards them only to receive a hard blow to the face. My cheek stinging, I sit up and see what attacked me. The Whomping Willow. "Ron, hold on!" I say and try again but the Whomping Willow's too quick and knocks me off my feet again. I let out a shriek of pain and am tossed across the grass just to see Ron go out of sight down a little passage. Harry and Hermione run up to me and help me on my feet.  

"Are you alright?" Harry asks and I nod, wiping some blood off my cheek.  

"Ron-the dog took him down there!" I say pointing. Harry and Hermione lunge forward only to get thrown back again. "Ouch!" I say when Hermione lands on me. She quickly apologizes and helps me to my feet again.  

"Crookshanks, what are you going?" Hermione calls to her cat as it dodges the Whomping Willow's branches. Crookshanks gets across and places a paw of a small stump. The Whomping Willow freezes and Harry, Hermione and I dart forward without it attacking us. We follow Crookshanks through the narrow passage on our hands and knees. We exit through the little trapdoor and find ourselves in a little hallway. "Harry, Athena," Hermione whispers. "I think we're in the shrieking shack!" Holy Merlin! We follow the sound of the 'meows' and come to a room. Crookshanks sits on a dusty bed meowing. I spot Ron in the other corner, clutching his leg-it must have broken.  

"Guys it's him! He's the dog, he's an Animagus!" I hear the door creak and we whirl around to find none other than Sirius Black. He has a yellow toothed grin painted across his dirty face. Harry, Hermione, and I pull out our wands.  

"Expelliarmus!" Sirius yells and all of our wands go flying out of our hands. Suddenly Professor Lupin rushes in. We're saved! He looks at Sirius and a smile passes across his while they hug warmly. What?  

"Traitor," Harry says aloud and Lupin sighs.  

"It's not what it looks like, Harry." He says and I roll my eyes. Is he seriously doing this? Suddenly, Professor Snape walks in, his wand raised.  

"I'd hoped to be the one to catch you, Black," he says with a sneer and out of the corner of my eye I see Hermione blast a spell at him and he smashes into the wall, unconscious. No one really seems to notice, though.  

"C'mon, Remus! I've waited long enough! I want to kill him!" Sirius says, his voice dripping with the hunger for vengeance. I step in front of Harry.  

"If you want to kill Harry, you'll have to through me first!" I glare at him and he smiles.  

"Very brave of you my dear, but it is not Harry I want to kill," his eyes linger on Ron. "It is he who gave up the location of Lily and James!" He points at Ron.  

"Me?!" Ron says squeamishly and Sirius shakes his head, discouraged.  

"The rat!" He screams and lunges for Scabbers.  

"No! Scabbers!" Ron squeals and Scabbers escaped his grasp and runs across the floor. Lupin and Sirius fire spells at him, but they all miss. Finally it works and Scabbers turns into a human. Lupin and Sirius drag him into the middle of the room while he cries for release. He is a portly, little man with fur on his pointed ears and a missing finger. Lupin and Sirius explain to us the whole story and Pettigrew (Scabbers) admits the whole thing through tears. We decide to take Pettigrew and turn him in to the dementors and prove Sirius innocent. Once we step into the moonlight, Lupin goes hysterical. He clutches his head in pain as we see the change happening. We all stumble backwards and away from him as he howls in pain. Once the transformation happens he bounds towards us. I grab Harry and Hermione by the arm and we break into a sprint, but Sirius (in his Animagus form) knocks Lupin out of the way. They fight for a while until a distant howl is heard and Lupin hobbles of into the forest. We catch sight of Sirius hobbling off and Harry dashes after him.  

"I'm going to follow them. Are you good with Ron?" I ask Hermione and she nods. I rush in after Harry. "Harry! Sirius!" I call, and I find them by the lake in the middle of a dementor frenzy. I scream as one comes at me, pulling back all the bad memories I have. I kneel beside Harry and Sirius, both having the same problem. I feel as if I don't have any purpose in this world. "Happy thoughts!" I think to myself, but it doesn't work. I suddenly remember Harry and Sirius next to me. I grab both of their hands as about five dementors come down on me at once. I hear Harry scream as well and then I see a bright light.  

Then all I see is black.