The Yule Ball

ATHENA POV:

"VICTOR KRUM?!" Hermione nods, a smirk cascading across her lips. We jump up and down while squealing and doing a happy dance. Ron crosses his arms and looks away, while Harry stares out the window. Once we're done gossiping, Hermione and I decide to get ready for the ball a couple of hours early. We do each others makeup and hair. I leave my hair down, but curl the ends a little bit to leave it in fiery read ringlets. I do Hermione's in a beautiful bun with tiny flower clips and A LOT of hair smoother. I put on my turquoise dress that is almost the same color as my eyes and reached down a little past my knees. It's strapless and I put on a necklace that my Uncle gave to me (he said it was my mothers). I put on sparkly, silver flats and a light layer of makeup. We're ready just in time for the dance.  

"You look beautiful," Hermione tells me, her eyes sparkling.  

"You look breathtaking!" I reply and we both laugh.  

"Lets go, Drew and Krum are probably waiting for us," I say, dragging Hermione downstairs.  

"I look bloody ridiculous!" I hear Ron yell.  

"Ron you look fine. Let's just go," Harry replies just as we walk into the room. We smile at them as they look at us in awe.  

"You look-you look..." Harry mutters to me and I laugh.  

"You don't look to bad yourself," I say playfully as Hermione and I climb out the portrait hole. We make our way down to the great hall and receive admiring looks and whistles. I blush as we walk down the steps. I see Drew waiting at the bottom, and Krum a few feet away. Drew's mouth drops open as I walk, my cheeks flaming. I've always invisioned this moment when I was the center of attention and all anyone could think about was how good I look. Kind of shallow, but it's a total girl thing.  

"You look beautiful," Drew whispers and I blush. I see Harry at the top of the steps and suddenly feel immensely guilty, even though its his fault for not asking me first. I take Drew's arm and we walk into the great hall. It's decorated with snowflakes, ice sculptures, and a blue dance floor that looks like a sheet of ice. However, when you step on it, it's just a regular floor. The champions then enter, and I can't help but glare at Parvarti since she's with Harry. I try to hide it, but I'm pretty sure Drew notices my jealousy.  

Drew and I dance and dance until my feet actually hurt. This isn't actually as fun as I though it would be, mostly because I thought I'd be here with Harry. I have feelings towards Drew, but they're nothing more than a friendly kind of way. Throughout this whole time, I see Harry and Ron sitting on the bench with the Patil twins, looking bored. I keep glancing at Harry when he's not looking, and he does the same to me.  

"Athena? Can we go talk for a second?" Drew's voice brings me back to reality.  

"Yes, of course," I say and he leads me into the hall. We go outside the door, away from all the couples making out on the benches. Yuck.  

"Look," Drew says. "I know you don't like me as much as I like you. Don't try to deny it to save my feelings." He raises his hand to stop me. "I know you wanted Harry to ask you and that I got to you first. Now just go dance with Harry and you two have a good time." His look remains serious, but I give him a wide smile. I lean in and kiss him lightly on the cheek and we walk back into the great hall. I sit on the bench next to Harry as Drew asks Parvarti to dance. Harry looks surprised.  

"Why aren't you dancing with Drew?"  

"It didn't really work out," I say, not meeting his eyes. He nods. There's an awkward silence that fills the conversation as we watch the other couples dance to the slow song. I get butterflies in my stomach, wanting more than anything for Harry to ask me to dance. It's been a while and he still hasn't asked me. Another slow song comes on and a couple people start to leave.