Chapter 4 - The Surprise

We arrived in Orlando about four days early. Roman and I were going out tomorrow and I just knew it was going to be amazing.

Nikki, Brie and I are in the car right now heading to my parents' house. This was going to be interesting.

As we arrived at the house, I told them what to expect. My parents were a little high class and they always had something rude to say if they didn't like somebody. They understood and promised to keep their tongue under control.

I got out and we all walked up to the door. I knocked and then the door opened. My mom and dad both stood there. "Lauren. My dear!" my mom said hugging me. My dad hugged me too and then they looked at Nikki and Brie. "Dear, who are your.... friends?" my mom asked. I could tell she didn't  like them already.

"Mom, dad. This is Nicole and Brianna Garcia. I work with them." I said.

"Oh. Well at least you're not completely alone there." mom said.

"Mom..."

"Dear, we have a surprise for you. Come in. Please. Come in."

We all walked in and followed my parents to the living room. There, sitting on the couch, was a man. He wasn't even cute and he looked like a nerd.

"Lauren, this is Derek. We've chosen him to marry our daughter."

"What?" I asked.

"Yes. He's exactly the kind of man we want for you." my dad said.

I sighed. There was no way I could get out of this.

Nikki nudged my side and I looked at her. She looked at me as if asking about my date with Roman.

"How about Friday for a date?" my mom asked.

"No. I can't. I'm busy Friday." I said.

"Well drop those plans. This is your future. It's very bright." dad said.

"I can't. I have work things to do."

"Well, honey, those work things won't be there forever, Derek will. Drop them. Quit. You'll never have to work again when you marry Derek." mom said.

"I can't. I'm sorry. I just can't." I said.

"Okay. How about tonight?" dad asked.

"Please. Just stop this. I don't see anything in Derek. No offense. I just want to find a guy on my own." I told them.

"Nonsense. Tonight is fine for a date. Lauren will be ready by seven." mom said.

I sighed in defeat. I couldn't argue with my parents even if I wanted to. This was a disaster.

"Lauren, we're going to go to the hotel. We'll meet you there?" Nikki asked.

"Yeah. I'll be there. Promise." I said. I looked back at my parents and then back to the girls. "I'll walk you guys out."

We walked outside to the car.

"This is a disaster." I said.

"Why didn't you just tell your parents no?" Brie asked.

"I can't argue with them. It gets me nowhere because I'm forced into it. I've learned to just go with things that they plan. It's easier that way." I said.

"What about Roman? You have a date with him tomorrow night." Nikki said.

"I know. That's why I said tomorrow was no good for a date with Derek. I doubt Derek is the one so I'll go on this date and then I'll break it to him easily. And then Roman and I are in the clear." I said.

"I hope so." Brie said.

The girls left and I walked back inside.

***

Derek and I were on this date and I was super bored. He took me to a presentation on money. This guy was a boring ignorant nerd. I swear on my life. I couldn't stand any more of this without going entirely insane. Fun was what I was looking for.

When it was over, he took me out to a nice restaurant where he ordered for me. I didn't even like the dish he ordered. Sushi? I mean, that's raw fish. That's disgusting. I just sat there picking at my food for the longest time until he said it was time to go. Thank god.

He took me home and decided to give me a goodnight kiss. I didn't want to but, I wanted this date over with and I knew he was going to keep asking until I gave him one. Our lips touched for a few seconds and then we pulled away.

"Thank you for a lovely evening." I lied.

"You're welcome. You're very beautiful." he said.

"Thanks." I paused. "Listen, I don't think I can go on another date."

"Right. Okay. Thank you for telling me this. I know what has to happen now. Goodnight." he said.

Thank god he understood.

I walked inside and found my parents in the living room.

"Hello dear. How was the date?" my mom asked.

"It was boring. Really boring." I said.

"Well it was only the first date."

"And the last one. I broke it off." I said. "I'm going to the hotel with my friends and the guy I'm supposed to date tomorrow."

"Guy? What guy?" dad asked.

"A guy I met at work. He's nice and he's fun and when we're around each other we forget what we were about to say. I don't know what it is but I really like him." I said.

"Nonsense. You deserve better than that. You deserve a guy that can give you anything you ever want. Not a guy that you work with." mom said.

"I knew you would disapprove." I said. I grabbed my stuff and walked out to the taxi I called for. This was going to be a long night and an even longer life. I couldn't believe my parents were setting me up with guys of their choice. It was ridiculous.

When I got to the hotel, I walked in and got to my room. I shared with Nikki and Brie again which was cool. I got up to the room and walked in setting my stuff down on the floor. Nikki and Brie weren't even there right now so I took this time to shower, change and lay down on a bed trying to get over today. This whole day has been nothing of what I wanted. It's been what my parents wanted. I drifted off to sleep not long after I laid down.