Chapter 14 - Dress Shopping

My mom and I were going dress shopping today. I was about seven months pregnant and felt like I was about to pop. I didn't even want to be with her right now.

Roman and I had been hanging out every time Derek was out of town and I found it so easy to lie to him but the closer I got to Roman the more scared I got for what Derek would do if he found out. All of this wasn't good for the baby.

***

We had already bought the dress (pic above) and I hated it. It was a maternity dress and very pretty but I couldn't help to look at it and feel sadness. My wedding day was in two weeks and I didn't want to be getting married but I had to in order to save Roman.

My mother and I were at a restaurant for lunch. It was very rare that we do that and it kind of felt nice.

"Dear, I need to ask you something." she said.

"What?" I asked.

"Are you happy with Derek?" she asked.

"Why would you ask me that?"

"Dear, I've seen you with him. You act like you're unhappy and the last thing I want is for you to be unhappy in a marriage." she said.

I felt tears forming. "Honest?" I asked.

She nodded.

"I'm not happy with him mom. He hits me and other things." I said.

"He hits you? Dear why didn't you tell me?" she asked.

"Because I didn't think you'd believe me. You were so excited for me to be with him that you were so wrapped up in it to even consider how I felt. I don't like it when you set me up with guys of your choice. It makes me feel like my choices are taken away."

"I'm sorry. I'll tell Derek the wedding is off." she said.

"No. You can't do that."

"Why not?"

"I can't tell you. I can't tell anyone. He said some things and if I don't marry him, he'll follow through on them. I can't let Roman get hurt." I said.

"He's gonna hurt somebody if you don't marry him?" she asked.

"Yeah. He's going to hurt me, the love of my life Roman and our baby." I said.

"It's Roman's baby?"

"Yeah."

"Oh dear. I'm so sorry. This is all my fault. I shouldn't have set you up with him. But he seemed so nice." she paused. "This Roman. Is he nice?"

"The nicest. He would never hurt me. He loves me and I love him. More than anything."

"Then that's who you should be with. We'll catch Derek somehow. Okay?"

"Catch me doing what?" we heard from behind us.

We turned around and saw Derek standing there.

"Um, catch you smiling at the wedding. It'll be a nice photo." I said.

"Right. Lauren, I need to talk to you. Now." he said.

I got up but my mom grabbed my arm. "No." she said. "I'm not going to let you go with that monster."

"You told her." Derek said.

"Derek..."

"Okay. You better tell Roman goodbye. Because this is the last time you're ever going to see him." he said. He walked out and left me stand there in tears with my mom holding me.

"I have to go to Roman. Come with me. Please." I said.

"Okay dear. Let's go."

***

We got to the hotel and ran up to Roman's hotel room. I knocked over and over again. Dean answered and I ran in with my mother.

"Lauren, what's wrong?" he asked.

"Where's Roman?" I asked.

"He's at the park. Why?"

"Oh no. Derek is going to kill him. I never told you this but Derek told me I had to stay with him or he would kill Roman, me and the baby. We have to find him." I said.

"Okay. Let's go." Dean said ushering us out the door.

***

We got to the park and I ran out of the car. I saw Roman sitting on a swing. "Roman!" I yelled.

He looked up at me and smiled but his smile faded quickly. He stood up and I ran to him. I leapt into his arms and just cried in his chest.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"It's Derek." I said.

"What did he do? I'll kill him."

"No Roman. That's exactly what he wants to do to you. Kill you." I said.

"What?"

"I told you that I had to stay with him but I didn't tell you why. That was why. He said if I stayed with him, he wouldn't kill you but if I left him or told anyone he would kill you, me and the baby." I told him.

The anger in his face was so clear. He was so mad and I couldn't tell if it was at me or Derek.

"Well, well."

I turned around and saw Derek standing there with a knife in his hand. Roman pulled me behind him but I fought him and ended up in front. "Derek. Please. I don't want to be with him. I want you. I've gotten to love you and I want to marry you." I said.

"Don't try to play me Lauren. It's not going to work." he said.

"It's not a game. I'm serious. I want you. Roman means nothing to me anymore. Please." I said. I knew my mom and Dean were in the car calling the police right now so I wasn't worried about him not getting caught.

"How do I know you're not lying?"

"I'm not babe. I'm not. I love you." I said.

"I love you too." he said.

"Hold it right there! Put your hands above your head!" a police officer shouted.

Thank god. I turned around to Roman and hugged him. "It's over."

"I'm so sorry." I said.

"Don't be. It wasn't your fault. It was his." he said.

"I love you so much."

"I love you too." he said.

He leaned down and pressed his lips to mine. Just as he pulled away I felt a warm liquid run down my leg. Oh no. This wasn't happening right now. I had two months left. I looked up at Roman who was smiling at me.

"Um, Roman, we need to get out of her." I said.

"Why?"

"Because my water just broke."