Chapter 11 - The Check Up

Four months have passed. Roman and I still haven't talked because I was trying to keep him alive. Derek thinks we've been getting closer but in all reality, I just wanted to be away from him.

I woke up in the morning to loud banging on the door. When I answered it, Derek walked in. "What do you want?" I asked.

"Your check up is today. We get to see if we're having a boy or a girl." he said.

"We? Last time I checked this is not your baby. This is Roman's baby." I said.

He walked up and slapped me, making me fall to the ground. "Don't ever say that again. That is our baby. That idiot has nothing to do with it. Don't forget that I can end his life in an instant." he said.

I didn't look up at him at all. I just wanted him to leave me alone and never come back. He was really starting to irritate me.

***

We got to the appointment and Derek pretended to be the loving, caring, wonderful fiancee that he always did in public. If only my parents knew what kind of guy they chose for me. Not that they would care. They'd probably blame it on me.

"Ms. Tomlinson?" a nurse said.

Derek and I stood up and followed the nurse. She led us to a room and checked me over a little bit before the doctor was to come in.

***

"Well Ms. Tomlinson, the baby seems to be doing really well. It seems very healthy and the heartbeat is strong which is good. Your blood pressure, however, is pretty high. Are you under a lot of stress?" the doctor asked.

"Of course she's not. She just worries herself." Derek said.

The doctor looked at Derek suspiciously and I was kind of getting worried. Who knew what Derek was going to do if the doctor asked the wrong question.

"Dad, I presume? Could you do me a favor?" the doctor asked.

"What?"

"There's a nurse down the hall, could you go ask her for a bottle of water please?" he asked.

"Sure." Derek said.

Derek walked out and the doctor turned to me. "Can you answer me truthfully? Are you under a lot of stress?"

"Yes. I am. It's because of him. He doesn't let me live my life the way I want. He tries to control me." I said.

"Okay. I think it would be a good idea for you to take a break from him. At least until the baby is born." he said.

"I would but I can't escape him. He's always by my side." I said.

"Then you'll have to put your foot down."

"I can't. He hits me." I told him.

"Really? Have you told anybody?" he asked.

"No. I can't. He said he'd kill me. Please don't say anything." I begged.

"Miss, I can't promise you that. If a patient of mine is being hurt, it's my job to report it."

"Please. I'm begging you. I'll handle it. I promise. Just please don't say anything." I said.

"Okay." he said. You could see the hesitation in his eyes.

I sighed in relief.

Derek walked back in and we got on with the ultra sound. "Well, it looks like you're having a little girl. Congratulations." the doctor said.

"A little girl?" I asked. I was actually pretty happy about it.

"Yeah. Just make sure you're keeping yourself away from stress." he said.

I knew exactly what he meant so my smile disappeared. There was no way I could stay away from Derek. Everywhere I go he implants himself right next to me. It's a never ending cycle. And every day routine.

***

Derek dropped me off at the hotel and I walked in. I knew he was going to be back so I really had to watch my step.

Nikki and Brie met up with me and I smiled slightly. "Hey girls." I said.

"Hey. So how was the check up? Did you find out what you're having?" Nikki asked.

"It's a girl." I said.

"A girl? Oh my god. She's going to be just like you. So beautiful." Brie said.

"Thanks." I said.

***

Nikki, Brie and I had been hanging out for a while and Derek returned. You could tell that he made the girls uncomfortable.

"So, Lauren, have you told Roman about the baby?" Nikki asked.

I looked at her like I was scared. She brought up the one person Derek hated the most right now.

"Why is she bringing up Roman? Did you talk to him today after I told you not to?" Derek asked.

"No. I swear. I haven't seen him." I said.

"Yeah right. Don't lie to me. You have some sort of obsession with him that I'll never understand. I could take care of him right now if I have to. Don't forget our little arrangement." he said.

"How could I ever forget? You remind me every day." I said.

"We're going to go Lauren. We'll see you later." Brie said.

I nodded.

Before they left Derek slapped me and they saw it and then hurried out.

***

ROMAN'S P.O.V.

I was in the hotel room with Dean watching a movie. Lauren had her appointment today but I didn't hear anything about it.

There was a knock on the door and Dean went to go get it. I heard girls talking and it sounded like they were crying. Lauren?

I got up and walked over to the door. Nikki and Brie were standing there with tears in their eyes.

"Girls, what's going on?" I asked.

"It's Lauren." Brie said.

"Derek's with her right now and we were just there. I asked her if she told you about her having a little girl and Derek flipped out. hen we walked out he was hitting her. We didn't know what to do." Nikki cried.

Anger built up inside me. How could a man hit a woman let alone a pregnant woman? My woman? I wanted to kill that guy. I wanted to confront him but I knew that if I did that it would only be worse for her. I needed to have a plan.

"I have an idea. But I'm going to need your guys' help." I said.

They nodded and we all sat in the hotel room talking about the plan.