Ch. 22 - The Progress & Perfection

My heart pounded with anticipation as I gazed across the street at the cement building, less than 60 feet away. Ultimate Fitness was so different from Buff's Gym. It was over three stories tall and each floor was clearly seen from the street, on behalf of the multitude of large glass windows embellishing the place. The outside of the building was absolutely pristine, without a single drunken figure in sight.

Even the neighboring buildings imitated the beauty of the gym. This entire street seemed to have some deep desire to be cut out and pasted into a Beverley Hills plaza.

Lets just hope Beverly Hills' prices aren't part of that desire as well...

My clammy hands gripped the threads of the drawstring bag I had slung over my shoulder. It held nothing more than some one week old workout wear, and a half empty water bottle that I failed to finish during last period. I didn't bring much of anything else with me since I rushed over here the second school let out. It was such a hurry that taking my backpack wasn't even a priority. My homework was light and easy, so I simply opted to complete it before class tomorrow.

My only struggle was Faye. She saw my eagerness to leave and offered to drive me wherever it was that I was so obviously itching to go, allowing me extra time to grab the exercise wear from my gym locker. But, with that generosity came opportunity.

Meaning: an entire car ride of interrogation of where I was going and why.

Lying straight to my friend's face has been becoming extremely difficult these days, an endeavor that already wasn't easy from the beginning. I couldn't do it again, at least not today, with her kindness and friendship staring me right in the face. I vaguely explained that I was indeed going to the gym Jonah was talking about, but I did have to cover myself by saying it was only because I had a renewed interest in staying fit.

Let's hope I can get through this Jack situation with my conscience still in one piece.

I breathed in the bustling city air and took my first steps towards the concrete structure. My heart cheered me on as I entered a very modern styled front lobby, with sleek tile floors and palm planters. The refreshing sent of lavender wafted under my nose.

A receptionist was typing away at her computer on a curved desk stationed in the middle of the lobby, which gave way to two hallways blocked by glass doors that stretched into the rest of the building.

I slowly approached the desk, still taking in my surroundings.

"Is there something I can help you with?" The middle aged woman stopped her typing and peered up at me over her glasses.

"Um...."

"Oh, this must be your first visit!" Recognition reached her face as she took in my confused appearance. "Most people just sign in and go off on their way, I do the rest." She pointed towards a papered clipboard rested at the corner of the desk. A cheeky smile plastered to her face and and she began the line she no doubt had to repeat everyday. "Welcome to Ultimate Fitness, where your health and fitness is our top priority. How may I help you?"

"I just want to get into the rest of the gym."

"Do you have a membership?" She raised both eyebrows in question.

"What?! A friend told me I didn't have to pay..."

She nodded her head in understanding. "Entree is free. But, with a membership you are granted access to certain rooms. As well as snack machines, smoothie bars, and our pool and sauna." She leaned forward and wiggled her eyebrows. "Trust me...it's worth it!"

Sure it is, until I look at the bill they'll send me at the end of the month.

The woman could tell her sales pitch wasn't effective enough, so she just told me to sign my name and go on in. I remained at the desk a second longer, trying to decide which hallway to go down. I can't be here for more than an hour, so I don't really have time to explore.