Ch.4 - The Secret's Out

Dean looked at me intently.

"What?" he demands, raising a questioning eyebrow. His overall disposition was one of caution, but disbelief and confusion pierced through his blue eyes.

"Y-your one of those street fighters..those illegal fight clubs. You're...one of them." I retreated into myself, mirroring the reaction I always had towards Jack's anger. I certainly don't want Dean's as well.

Dean tore his arm out of my grasp when he realized it was his stamp that betrayed him.

Most girls don't know about things like underground fights. The thought of men rallying together for no other purpose than to mutilate each other for dirty money.....it sounds like something out of a gritty action movie. The average high school student would hardly be able to understand exactly how real something like that is.

But, living in the same house as my uncle has exposed me to a world of things I should never have known. Jack was a skilled boxer, and he couldn't have reached that level without associating with other fighters. Street fighters in particular. He has a handful of them in his circle.

When I was 15, I would eavesdrop on conversations between my uncle and his companions. Plus, I always had to clean up after them. While picking up beer bottles, and cigarettes, every now and then I would notice a stamp on the back of a few of the mens' hands. I'm not sure what it's for, I just know what it means.

Dean must have just come from his fight and for some reason got jumped by those thugs. This guy was now whole new level of trouble in my eyes. I began to subtly back towards the bathroom exit, until sudden contact came to my chin. Dean slowly raised my face up to look at him. His own was full of mixed emotions. Shock, defiance, and anger.

All the traits of an exposed fighter.

"Patience, you don't know what you're talking about. Leave it." Dean said while looking me straight in the eye. I was right about this. Wasn't I? I'm afraid to be right.

"I know what I'm talking about." I didn't say anymore on the subject of how I knew. No way I was telling him about Jack, and no way I was going to put myself in more jeopardy. "I just know that mark." I pointed to his right arm.

Realizing that there was nothing left to say, Dean gruffly exhaled and motioned towards the door. I walked out and hesitantly opened the door to the passenger side of the car.

"Nah, I'll call a cab." He swatted his hand in the air and started walking in the opposite direction.

I don't blame him. I knew his big secret. He probably thought I would bombard him with questions the second I could lock him back in the car. Or, just drive him to the police station...

I got in my car and started driving home. I already knew I was beyond screwed. I checked the time once again on my phone, 8:15. I'm done for.

Patience Phillips, you can just dig your grave now.