3 Following Strangers

I handed the menu to the two men. "Tell me if you want anything in particular," I said, tying an apron around my waist.

"Parfait," Heiwajima-chan answered instantaneously. Tom-san looked it over a bit more before simply saying that "anything was fine."

I began to make the orders while Tom-san kept up a conversation with me. "Have you heard about the recent attacks around the Sunshine Front Intersection? That place is always so packed, it's hard to believe they're having difficulty finding witnesses."

"Ah... I heard about that on the news this morning. It's not too far from here, actually," I stated. "Didn't they say it was because of the 'Dollars'? That's such an interesting name for a gang..."

I saw Tom-san shrug from the corner of my eye. "They also said it could be the 'Yellow Scarves'--"

"'Yellow Scarves'?!" I exclaimed, dropping what I was holding and turning to face him. "Do they seriously wear yellow scarves?"

Tom-san's surprised face relaxed and he nodded. "Though I think I've seen a few who wore other yellow articles of clothing."

"I've only seen scarves," Heiwajima-chan said with near certainty. "Why are you so surprised? All this gang-stuff is a widespread topic."

I gave them what they ordered and sat across from the both of them. "I just moved here," I answered. "On my first night, I found myself eavesdropping on a few people... and they were wearing yellow scarves." Resting my chin in the palms of my hands, I put on a grin. "I fought them; one versus three," I informed proudly, ignoring the fact of Orihara-san's later appearance.

Tom-san shook his head in disbelief, but still smiled. "So that's why you had bandaging on your head..." he mumbled. "Are you alright?"

"I don't really know... If I wasn't alright, then I wouldn't be making you food. But if I was alright, then I wouldn't have back-sassed Heiwajima-chan..."

The bartender let out an annoyed grunt. "Stop calling me that! The '-chan' reminds me of a certain piece of trash."

I laughed. "Then, what about 'Heiwajima-chin'? 'Heiwajima-senpai'? 'Heiwajima-dono'? Oh, Heiwajima-dono, how humbled I am by your gratifying presence, you magnificent specimen of a god, you."

"Oi. How'd you manage to make all of them sound bad?"

"Oh? I thought they were pretty good."

"No, you fucked up."

This continued for a while until they finished the desserts and decided to leave. Apparently, Tom-san is a debt collector and Heiwajima-dono's his body guard. I guess it makes sense. Tom-san waved while exiting, saying that the cake I made him tasted really great, and that I was doing well--which, of course, made me very happy.

The blonde man followed behind Tom, stopping to tell me that the parfait was good, and he asked me to make some for him again. Before he left, he turned around once more, but didn't even look me in the eye. "Oh, and (-Last Name-)-san... You can call me 'Shizuo'," he said before leaving the hotel's kitchen.

I smiled and cupped my hands around my mouth and shouted after him, "You can call me '(-First Name-)'!" Once they left, the hotel staff appeared, let out sighs of relief, and resumed their work.

Returning to my room, I just sat on the floor and stared at the television despite it being turned off. Random act of murder around Sunshine Front Intersection, huh? I thought to myself. There were the Yellow Scarves and--what was it?--the Dollars? With these thoughts in mind, I resorted to my computer for research. Immediately upon typing in "Dollars gang", I came across a website, but I couldn't get in since the first thing it did was ask for a password.