8 Record

"Yes!" I exclaimed with excitement as I leapt out of my bed, letting my notepad fall to the floor with the papers scattering everywhere. Then and there, I didn't even care that I'd have to clean it up later. "Yes! Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!"

Running to my closet, I tugged my jacket off the hanger and bounded over to the door. When I left the hotel, I could see that it was starting to get dark, but there was still a smudge of daylight painted across the blues and reds of the dawn sky. After riding part of the way in a taxi, I bolted down the sidewalk. People were giving me looks of concern, but I went on minding my own business as I sped past them.

I slowed to a stop as I arrived at my destination. Looking up at the door, I wasn't sure what to do, so I decided to knock. The door opened up promptly to reveal Orihara-san who looked smug rather than surprised. "Oh? (-First Name-)-chan, did you miss me already~?" he asked as he leaned on the doorway.

"Orihara-san, I need your help," I explained as I pushed past him and waltzed inside his apartment. "I found something out when I reviewed a few things. Anyway, I need you to access previously recorded footage captured by the street cameras at, near, and around the Sunshine Front Intersection."

"Ha~? Why would you think that I have access to such a thing? Ah, but that's besides the point. (-First Name-)-chan, are you using me? How cruel! I'm very busy doing my own work; work that I get paid to do. So if you'd be so kind as to--"

"Does your job require watching Hanamaru Kindergarten?" (Author's Note: I read somewhere--maybe the DRRR wiki--that Izaya was watching this in the anime. XD)

"'Hanama--' Huh?"

I pointed at his television. "You said that Yagiri-san likes younger guys, but here you are, watching a show about a Kindergartener who's in love with her teacher... Ah, maybe I'll leave you to your work after all. Looks crucial. See? Anzu-chan is about to confess to Tsuchida-sensei again. This is big. Very important."

In the few moments following my remark, Orihara-san's face went from smug to annoyed, he moved from the door to his desk, and he went from talkative to dead silent. I let myself take a seat on his couch, sinking into the cushions comfortably. "This couch is my favorite, I think," I said out loud. "Once this is all over, I think I'll buy one for my own place," I rambled on, talking more to myself than to him.

"Your 'own place'?"

"It's true!" I exclaimed, falsely astonished. "Believe it or not, I don't live in a hotel!"

"Hn..." he grunted, beginning to lose himself in thought. "Of course... That explains a lot." I looked at him, confused by what he meant by that, but he was focused solely on the computer in front of him.

I glanced back to whatever's in front of me--which was the game board. He still hasn't moved any of the pieces... It vaguely and strangely worried me to see my special piece, the white queen, cornered at all sides. I picked her up, turning her over in my hand with close inspection. When I was sure that Orihara-san wasn't looking, I placed the piece down on the other side of the board and grinned to myself. Now it looks like she's cornering everyone else. Ah... What a dangerous woman. I fell back onto the cushions and shoved my hands into my pockets only to feel an object inside. I recognized it as a ring I hadn't worn in a while since jewelry was never really my thing, so out of impulse, I decided to put it on.

"(-First Name-)-chan~!" Orihara-san called out. I lifted my gaze and saw him spinning joyously in his chair, obviously content with himself. I let out a brief chuckle at the sight. "Come!" he ordered. "I've done all of your hard work!"

"Sure, sure," I agreed sarcastically. "You did everything! I'm only here to confirm the results."

"Haa~? I don't need confirmation. You're here to keep me company!"