Playing Dead

I didn't really know where I was, all the towns looked the same now. They were all littered with abandoned cars, dropped bags, debris; evidence showing where people's lives had stopped in their tracks. To my count, it had been nine months, give or take, since the aliens had come. It had been nine months since my parents died. It had been nine months since one of my brothers died. It had been nine months since I took the responsibility of my two younger sibling's lives. It had been three since both of them had died.

So now, I was, basically, alone. As the months went on, running into other survivors became less and less frequent. I hadn't had direct contact with anyone since before the kids died. The town I was scavenging in had practically been picked dry, the only working vehicle was my motorbike and the freshest piece of food...was probably me.

I had perfected my routine over the months, finding things that were useful and necessary, keeping my concentration. I think I had become so sensitive to noise out of pure fear, that I could hear anything within my area. So when I heard the people coming I dropped down to the ground and did what I usually did; play dead. Okay it wasn't the bravest thing in the world that I could do, but it worked. I survived.

The coldness of the ground began to seep through the layers I had on. 'Dammit, I just got this shit dry.' I thought. I could hear the footstep approach where I was sprawled out on the ground on the sidewalk of what I could only guess was a main street in the town due to the ransacked mini mart and the presence of a pristine church left almost untouched by the destruction of the rest of the world.

Their voices started to get closer, from what I could tell there was maybe five, few guys, maybe a few girls?

"Look, little Mason, it's been over two months. You gotta accept that the professor may not be coming back. I mean what-"

"Pope, knock it off!"

The trick with getting away with acting like you are a corpse is to keep your face relaxed and to keep any breathing to a minimum, obviously, but only take short and shallow breathes. The adrenaline started pumping through my veins as I could sense them getting nearer and nearer.

"Is she dead?"

"Looks like it."

I thanked god that they were buying it. I mean I'm pretty sure if you looked at me in my unclean state with mussed hair piled up in a haphazard bun, you would have taken me for dead. I mean, I hadn't seen myself in a mirror in a while but I was more than positive I could pass for a corpse.

"Pity. She's cute." The gruffer voice said.

I smirked to myself inwardly. Thanks, man. I mean weird standards, but hey thanks.

"She's so young. And alone."

Ooh that one stung a little.

"I don't think she's that young. She's probably older than Ben."

"We should bury her. It's not fair for her to be out in the middle of the street."

The others murmured in agreement. No, don't bury me. Jesus, please do not bury me. When I felt a hand touch my leg, as if to pick me up, I had to call it quits.

As quick as a flash, my hand, which was already strewn over my stomach, grasping at the handgun inside my jacket, came to life and brandished the gun.

"Yeah, I can't be buried alive." I grimaced.

They all jumped back, pointing their rifles in my direction. For the first time I got to see the group of people accidently accosting me. There was five of them, four guys and a girl. The girl was probably the fiercest looking one with a long mane of blonde hair tucked under scarves in her jacket. Her eyes were narrowed, as if I was threatening her family. Maybe I was. The one who had reached for me was a young, almost baby faced, brunette but his eyes were just as fierce, totally aware, on edge. Just as well, because, you know, I had a gun pointed at him.