Capture

A/N Just a quick chapter today, sorry! Bit of a filler in a limbo with the story at this point of the show, but will be more exciting when the rest of 2nd Mass reunite. Thank you for all the comments and favourite, hope you enjoy! 

"That...should be you." I tightened up a bandage on the ankle that was propped up on my lap.

"Think it'll be fine?" Denny raised her eyebrows, stretching her foot.

"It should be. And with your healing? Two days you'll be good as new." I guessed.

"Thanks, Cass." Denny put her leg down and started doing up her boot again. "It's good to have you back with us. And your medical supplies."

I laughed and started packing up. I had worked literally all day on patching up everyone that had come in with Anne. I mean, Anne had a hundred times the amount of skill than I had, but without Lexi, without her family, she had none of the focus. And on top of that, they had absolutely no supplies left by the time they had reached us.

It was now dark, and cold. I cast a glance over to where Ben and Maggie had recently gone to stand, hovering over a seated Anne.

"What do you think they're talking about?" Denny followed my gaze over to the three of them. I pressed my lips together. We had decided to let Lexi tell Anne about the Espheni side of her, but as far as I could tell, she hadn't. So I was guessing Ben and Maggie were stepping in.

"The weather, probably."

Denny narrowed her eyes at me, emitting a smile.

"I guess there's a lot we all have to catch up on." I stood and slung the med kit over my shoulder, proceeding to three of the people I loved the most.

I hoped they hadn't already told her. How were you supposed to explain to a mother that he child was potentially evil?

"I guess I just had this picture in my head of my little girl. And I've lost her." Anne was staring at the ground as I approached, sliding past Ben. I dumped the kit on the floor and perched beside the mother. I wrapped an arm around her shoulders, clutching at the arm closest to me as Ben spoke.

"Anne. There's something we need to tell you about Lexi."

"Ben and Cass convinced me to wait." Maggie murmured gravely.

I whispered to Anne. "We were hoping that Lexi might tell you herself."

"Tell me what?" She looked at us, the colour draining from her face right in front of me.

"She's been meeting with the Espheni." Ben blurted it out. I closed my eyes, tensing my jaw. Every time I heard it, it still sent dread into my stomach.

"Ben followed her and saw them." Maggie divulged.

"We confronted her. She said she'd brokered some sort of truce. That that's how this place had stayed of the radar."

Anne stood, I dropped my hands away from her. Her clenched fists shook. "I knew it! Do they all know, Lourdes and the rest of them?"

I leant forward and dropped my chin into my hand, propped up with an elbow on my knee. I just watched them, listening to what they were saying, how they argued. Anne wanted to kill. So did Maggie. Ben reasoned.

"Fine." Anne reluctantly spat, agreeing to not kill the Overlord right away. "But we do this my way."

And with that, we were off.

-

That's how we found ourselves standing outside the walls of Chinatown. The four of us stood, facing Lexi, like some kind of Mexican showdown, waiting for the Overlord to show himself. He had to show himself for the plan to work.

"I need to speak with him." Anne clutched the hands of her daughter.

"You'll kill him."

"No. I won't." Anne lied.

I watched as Lexi glared up at her mother through her dark eyelashes. "Don't lie to me, mother."

Her tone of voice reminded me of how Ben described her shouting at him. She was acting like we were an enemy, anyone against the Espheni's plan was against her.

Light caught the corner of my eye and I turned my head, seeing the spikes on the back of Ben's back light up.

"Mags." I urgently got her attention and got her to move towards Anne with me, keeping an eye on my, now possessed, love.

"The Espheni are here." Maggie hissed in Anne's ear. "They're taking him over through his spikes."

"Show yourself!" Anne yelled as we backed up, trying to see all sides, trying to see him.

Ben's voice came out. "By bringing you here, your daughter has put our arrangement in jeopardy." I cringed away at his speech. I hated it.

"We came here on our own." Anne insisted, yelling out into the void. "Why have you left this place alone?"

"There are some among us who think that bringing our species together may let us live together harmoniously."

"Then why hide yourself. Unless you're keeping yourself from her?" Anne accused.

"I have nothing to hide."

Rustling came from just behind Lexi. Seconds later, a cloaked, hooded figure emerged from the darkness. It was too tall, too thin, too alien like to be anything other than an Overlord.

"You must trust that I work for a greater good, Mother." The possessed Ben eyed Anne.

Mother? Mother? Why was Anne being called 'Mother' by an Overlord? Unless...

"I know you." Anne whispered. "It was you. You're the one who did this to me, to my daughter...experimented on her, made her what she is." Her voice got louder angrier as she spoke and she moved protectively to stand in front of her child.

"I was never the instigator."

"You're a liar. But I'll get the truth." Anne promised dangerously. "Anthony!"

We all jumped into action, into the plan. But it didn't go to plan. As soon as Lexi figured out what we were doing, she raged. She used whatever weird powers she had to emit a hurricane like wind around us. Maggie's guns were thrown from her hands. Anthony's rifle was torn away from him.

"Stop!" Anti-Ben yelled. "You must let them take me. Do not give into their base aggression!"

Lexi calmed, drooped from the power draining out of her. But then Ben started yelling. And I could tell by his voice that it was him. It was the real him.

"NO!" He screamed, grabbed Maggie's gun from the ground. "He's lying! I can hear it in my head! Stay away from my sister!"

I stared at his pointed gun, barrel trained on the Overlords head. I had no gun, I had no knife- I had nothing. Maggie moved to stand in front of me and revealed her other gun, matching Ben's offensive stance.

Lexi was screaming.

"Anthony take him." Anne ordered. "Go ahead."

The plan was executed from then on: the Overlord was tied tightly, attached to abandoned cars.

We won that fight. We were safe. For now.

i