Reflecting

Kinda long chapter in comparison to the last few! 

"I have to go." Lexi clambered to her feet, sweat sticking to her. "I can feel their hatred, they're going to kill me."

"No." Tom rounded to stop her, stepping in her way as Anne clung to her daughter's arm. "We didn't know what was happening to you in there. People were afraid that you were going to come out a different person, come out dangerous."

"The faithful never believed that." Lourdes assured her. Somehow she had appeared in the mess of Lexi coming out of the cocoon and had snapped into her 'light loving' ways. Lexi shook her head at her devoted follower.

"I have changed. I tried to help those people, to show them to make peace with their enemies, but I see now that there's no use." Lexi spoke, as if she had changed entirely inside that thing. She was harder, like she had lost faith in the puny humans. "Humans cannot let go of their war like ways, so I have to leave here.

"I don't understand." Anne clutched at Lexi. "I spoke to you in the cocoon, you told me that you're always going to choose your family."

"Not this family." Alexis shook her head, almost whispering. "Most of your hearts are filled with violence. There's nothing more I can do."

I couldn't believe what she was saying. "And your other family, they're full of peace?" I looked at her.

"You don't understand." She spoke softly, almost condescendingly. "They're-"

"They invaded our planet, Alexis!" I finished her sentence for her. But I felt a hand on my wrist, Ben's hand. It seems he thought I was getting into a bit of danger.

"Lexi, they're afraid of you. They might try to hurt you." Tom warned, still trying to block Lexi's way to stop her from moving. But that couldn't stop her.

"Let them try." Lexi pushed past and carried on to the courtyard. Voices from outside swelled as she walked into view of everyone. We all rushed to follow her.

I knew in the deepest pit of my stomach, in the hollows of my bones, that something bad was going to happen- I could just feel it. Ben's hand was still gripping on my wrist, and just like I could sense that something was going to happen, I could sense that Ben was still going to be on Lexi's side. It was weird. I had gone from being so vehemently democratic on the judgement of Alexis, but just seeing her emerge from that place- I could tell she had changed. And I could tell that it wasn't for the best.

"Don't take another step." Pope cocked a gun and pointed it at Lexi. Like a Mexican wave, everyone else in the crowd readied their weapons. But very little could stop Lexi when she brought out her powers.

Tom threw himself to his daughter's side, holding his hands up, pleading Pope to stop, saying that she wasn't going to hurt anyone. But she could.

"Don't Pope." I stepped forward. "It's not going to do anything." A lousy bullet wouldn't be able to stop her, kill her.

"You humans. You always turn to violence." Lexi's voice continued in that cold manner. "I'm leaving. Don't try to stop me."

Nobody except from Lourdes did. "Please. Take me with you."

I barely caught the garbled words that came out of Lourdes words. She spoke to quickly, saying that she was nothing before Alexis saved her. Maybe she was right on that one.

"Poor Lourdes. Would you like me to set you free?" They clutched each other's hands. "You'll always be in my heart."

The words she spoke didn't seem to sound right for the situation. It sounded like she was getting ready to lose her. Lexi reached her hand up to Lourdes' jaw and touched her skin. "Breathe deeply."