Time

We huddled round in one of the warehouses, which had been made into almost an office, a HQ for battle plans. There was already arguments bubbling.

A frequency of a message with a warning, saying that the ghettos were being liberated and the Espheni were starting their next phase- turning us into them. Some people wanted to stay and fight, some people wanted to run and find, and some wanted to do both.

I just stood back. I felt inside me that there was something telling me not to run, not to go too far, but not necessarily fight. I don't know what it was, it was just an innate feeling.

Pope shot down the 'fly to the moon' idea but there was a further debate and Tom wasn't wavering. "And exactly who's going to be foolish enough to pilot that flying saucer to the moon?" Pope questioned.

There was a bit of a pregnant pause before Tom said: "Me."

I pushed off of the table I was leaning on and stood straight. "And me."

-

"I just think you're being rash. Both of you." Anne said to Tom and I.

I had been yanked into their room like I was a misbehaving child but I wasn't for moving on my stance. And neither, it seemed, was Tom.

"I agree with you, that Cass is." Tom looked up at us, perched on the side of his bed.

I rolled my eyes and put my hand up. "Enough." I shook my head. "I love you guys like you're my own parents, but you're not." My words were harsher than I intended, but I wasn't that bothered that I was being cold. "You get to try and convince Tom because he's your husband now, but I'm not moving with this. I don't care if I have you come with me, or if I'm going alone, or if I'm going with someone else, but I am going. I'm the fricking invincible one, right?"

They couldn't disagree with that, but they did want to. I could see it in their exchanging glances.

"So it makes sense." I went to the door. "And anyway, if we crash, I get to be the first woman to live on the moon. You can't deny me that."

I went out into the colder weather and pulled my jacket a little tighter around me. I barely took a breath of the fresh-ish air when Ben grabbed my arm and pulled me away to the side.

"What are you doing?" I pulled my arm back and stared at him.

"What are you doing? You suddenly signing up for a trip to the moon?" he questioned me.

"Well. I figured it's a once in lifetime thing." I started walking away but he followed me closely behind. "I'm going to the ship."

"Why didn't you tell me?" he reached out for the back of my jacket and stopped me from walking away. He looked hurt.

Good. I would fly to the moon just to get back at him.

I heard that thought in my head and I realised how bitter a thought it was. I tried to shake it off, but it was true. That's just how I was feeling.

I stuck my hands in my pockets so he couldn't reach for them. "What? Are we telling each other stuff now?" I breathed out a wry smile and he tilted his head back, keeping his eyes trained on me.

"I'm sorry, Cassie. You know that. And it didn't mean anything. I told you I was sorry." He pleaded with me softly.

I ground my teeth. "I know and I accepted it. But I need some time. I just need some time."

"We haven't got much time." He pointed out, almost joking with me.

"Don't do that right now." I shook my head, pissed at him daring to try to be nice. "You have no idea how suffocating it can be here for me. And how alone I feel right now. If I have problems with you then I go to Maggie. And if I'm arguing with Maggie then I go to you. And you've fucked that up for me. You've fucked with my relationship with you and my friendship with her."