Emerge

Night had fallen by the time Tom came back. I was sitting in the same position, unmoved, but with others. Matt had come to find me and he had perched on the steps next to me whilst Weaver patrolled the area. He was always in army mode, it was in his blood.

Matt was the same... yet different. He looked older, as if puberty had hit him like a brick wall, but he still had the childlike qualities that I dreaded him losing. He told me all about where he was- part school part camp. It sounded like something straight out of Mein Kampf, reading clearly as brainwashing agenda.

As terrifying as his experience sounded, what was scarier was the marked change in strategy that the Espheni were showing. Instead of just decimating us, they were moving towards forceful integration. They had always targeted the children- Ben was absolute proof of that. But this was taking it one step further: they weren't just taking the kids and changing their genes, they were rewriting the children's beliefs and lives- turning them against humanity. It was a new technique, a new type of war. Maybe more dangerous.

"I helped her, I covered for her even though I was scared." Matt spoke speedily, telling me all about the one apparent good thing that he had experienced in the months before: a girl.

It actually was reassuring to hear him chatter on about it. It showed me that normality still manages to scrape through- kids always get crushes.

"So you really liked her?" I rested my chin on my hand, trying to look like I was giving all of my attention despite keeping alert to the goings on in the rest of the area.

"I never said that." He muttered, a slow blush crept to his cheeks.

"Matty, you risked your life for the girl." I nudged his knee with mine. "You obviously cared about her."

With pressed lips he hid a coy smile. "Well, I did hold her hand in the hall before I left. And she kissed me."

"She kissed you?" I grinned, cocking my head to see his blushing enhance and he nodded. "That's so cool, Matt. Maybe we'll see her again." I wrapped an arm around his shoulders and ruffled his hair with my hand.

He settled against me, resting his head against me. In the years I had known him, watching him grow up, he never ever resisted a hug from me. I could feel him watching the cocoon.

"She's going to be okay, you know." I spoke softly. "We're gonna get her out."

Tom returned and Matt leapt up to see him. Tom hooked an arm around his youngest son before starting to open his mouth to speak with Weaver. "Jesus." The Professor grabbed Weavers wrist and stared at the palm of his hand. "Cassie, take a look at this will you?"

I rose from my step and took Weaver's hand in mine. The burn he had received from Lexi's cocoon was worse- fierier, more blistered. "Shit." I winced just looking at it.

"I need to go and check on Anne, I'll see if Kadar has anything for this." Tom said, ignoring all of Weaver's protests.

I was just about to shush him when a silence breaking bellow exploded from the cocoon. My hands instantly went to my ears and we all grimaced at the excruciating noise. We stared at it as the noise subsided but instead steam took the place of the noise.

"Dad!" yelling came from out in the courtyard. I could hear Ben's voice reaching us. "Dad! We have a problem!"

We turned to stare out to the courtyard as he came running. "It's Pope and Hal, they're coming for Lexi."

Hal? What? He had done a complete enhancement on his beliefs- Hal's doubt had obviously become stronger. I clenched my jaw hearing Pope's roars, his yelling for Tom. Clamouring reached my ears, Lourdes' voice commanding Lei's followers to keep the rabble of anti-Lexi's at bay.