Decisions

A/N Suuuuuuuper long bit coming up, got back into the swing of things after a few short chapters, hope you enjoy! 

"We must have impressed this murdering chick if she's willing to get in contact with the President." I mused to Anne. I was lying against the pillows on her and Tom's bed with Lexi in my arms, stretching her out into the air, emitting tiny little giggles from her. I had been with Anne and the baby for about a half hour, entertaining the little one so Anne could sort some things.

"I think it was more the Volm shooting Beamers out of the sky with little effort that impressed her." She sighed in the midst of folding up the baby clothes.

"Well, technically, they're part of the 'we'." I sat up, holding Lexi on my lap. "Yes, we are, baby. We are."

I stroked my fingers over her dark, downy hair and kissed her forehead. She still had the baby smell and I was not looking forward to the day that would disappear, I would miss it.

It was Anne's lack of movement that caught my attention. She was standing staring at me, Alexis' folded blankets in her arms.

"You...okay?" I asked her.

Anne's lips pressed together and she readied herself. With her hair tucked behind her ears, she dropped the clothes on the bed.

"What do you see when you look at her?"

"At Lexi?" I asked in confusion. "I see a beautiful little baby."

Her shoulders dropped. What? She wanted another type of answer? I studied her, confused as she was worried.

"There's something different." Anne whispered.

And that was the thing. There was. From birth it was like she was entirely alert, her eyes would follow you around the room. Her muscles were stronger, her responses were more accurate than a baby her age should have been.

"I mean..." I stood up and shifted Lexi in my arms, closer to my chest with her chin on my shoulder. "She's advanced, I think, developmentally. Is that what you mean?"

Anne looked relieved, like she was so glad someone else had realised. "Thank god. Nobody else seems to see that."

"I assumed it was because she had a lot of attention." I tried to say what I thought she wanted to hear, but not lie as well. "Is this what's been worrying you?"

Again, she dragged her hands through her long mane of hair. "Yes. This is gonna sound bizarre. And Tom and Lourdes are acting like I'm insane. But I hear her talk, and she moves like she shouldn't."

I made a face at that. I couldn't hide that reaction. "You- you what?"

"She speaks. And I know by that face you're gonna react the same way and I just-"

"No, no, no." I shook my head. "If you say that this has been happening, then I believe you Anne."

And then she started crying.

My face contorted in sympathy and I touched her arm, leading her to sit on the bed. She rested her elbows on her knees and looked at me. Her face was drained with exhaustion and worry. My heart was aching for her.

At this new revelation I looked down at the baby in my arms. Her fists were grasping out for me and her mouth was searching for milk. I grabbed a bottle off of the bedside and started feeding her, keeping an eye on Anne.

"I don't know what's happening to her. I don't know if she's entirely human. And I said this to Tom and he looked at me as if I was the worst mother on earth." Anne shook her head, watching me feed her child.