New Role

We had arrived at our new stopping point, I assumed that it wasn't going to be for long though. Weaver and Tom had their eyes firmly set on the horizon of Charleston. We had been there for a few days and there had been no major incidents. No deaths, no shootings, no tree branches sticking out of anyone. I counted that as a win.

There was however, blossoming relationships all around. Earlier in the day, Lourdes and I had walked into the med bus, catching Anne and Tom kissing. The broke apart as soon as they saw us and Tom hurried off. Anne was ecstatic though, laughing as he left.

"Probably best to keep that between us." She had giggled, slightly embarrassedly.

"Our lips are sealed." Lourdes had smiled.

"Even if yours aren't." I had hit out with. That got me a push from Anne before we all fell about laughing.

Darkness had fallen and I was just clearing up from where we had been working that day.

"Hey, Cassidy."

I looked up from what I was doing to see Matt wander in. "Hi, hon."

"What you doing?" he questioned.

"Well, we've started keeping files on people we're treating. Make sure we know how they're reacting to different medicines." I told him. "So we basically just started so, I'm trying to write them up. Don't know how long it'll last but might as well give it a go." I glanced up to see him spinning a pen round and round on the worktop. "You okay?"

"Dad took me off missions." He shrugged. He was hurt by this, I assumed.

I leant against the worktop. "How come? I thought it was working out."

Matt, without any prodding, launched into his version of the story.

"So you want me to side with you, when they effectively used you as bait for aliens?" I raised my eyebrows at me.

He backed down a little and muttered. "Well, when you say it like that..."

"Matty, in letting you go out on these missions, on recon and things like that, you're being treated like a young adult, not a child. But if you let yourself be led astray – by a group called 'The Berserkers' no less- then you're not acting like someone who deserves that adult role. You're acting like a kid." I explained. "Yes, you deserve to be able to work, to help out and, to an extent, have fun when you do them. But with those roles, you have to be responsible."

He stood for a moment, avoiding my eyes. I had been continuing the documents as we spoke but with his continued silence, I put my pen down. "Matty, do you understand what I'm saying?"

"Yeah. I just wish dad said it like you did. Instead he just shouts and embarrasses me in front of everyone. Then that makes them stay away from me." Matt shrugged.

I heard motorbikes pull up outside.

"Well, just keep all that in mind, okay?" I headed for the door and led him out with me. "Come on, that'll be Hal and Ben. They might have something for you to do."

We jumped out of the bus and headed towards the group. It was starting to rain so I pulled up Matt's hood. Just as we were about to get to the crowd, he spotted his dad and took off in another direction. I just rolled my eyes, knowing that he would be fine, and so kept going to the group.

"...no adults." Hal was sitting on one of the motorbikes. "Maybe we can help them out."

Behind him there was a small truck of kids. Like ten at least. One of them, a girl, broke away from the group and headed straight for Weaver.