Chapter Twelve

Justin:

...

I quickly ran to my house and up the stairs to my room, not caring about who was here.
I spent at least an hour an a half deciding what to wear. Boys want to look good too, you know.
I ended up picking a long sleeve shirt and some ripped jeans and placed them in my bed before heading downstairs again. I have like six hours to get ready, but knowing myself, I better start now.

"Where you going?" James asked with his mouth full, as he took another bite of his hamburger.

"Wherever I'm going, I can go there by myself." I replied carelessly as I grabbed the car keys and opened the front door.

"But Wane said-"

"I don't care about what Wane said." I said, cutting him off.

"But-" I cut him off again.

"No." He sighed in defeat.

"Wane is going to kill me." he protested. I gave him a fake smile and just as I was about to leave, I realized that I had no Idea where I was going. I barely know this town. "Hey, Hames?"

"Huh?"

"Do you know a barber shop near here?" I asked as I stood next to the open door. In all the time that I've been here, I haven't cut my hair once.

"Um, in case you haven't noticed, I'm bald." he said, pointing to his head.

"Oh, yeah." I laughed.

"But, I do happen to know one." He smiled. "I wasn't always bald, you know."

I just laughed as he cleaned his mouth and took his wallet out, grabbing a card out of it, and handing it to me. "Thanks man."

"Yeah no problem. You really need that haircut." he chuckled.

  ***

After getting a haircut, buying a new pair of shoes,-- yes, I mean, this is like the first time I go out alone so-- I went back to the house to get ready.

I smiled to myself as I admired my reflection on the wall mirror. I was on point. I winked at my reflection before grabbing my phone, and keys and heading down the stairs.

"Justin!" Wane shouted, as he clapped his hands.

"Fuck." I swore under my breath. I bet he found out I was out alone.

"I thought you understood the fact that your Dad said you couldn't go anywhere alone."

"For God's sake, man. I just went to get a haircut! If you haven't noticed, I'm not the same as a few months ago." I yelled.

He stayed silent, eyeing me up and down. "That's true. BUT I have to follow orders. You know, you could've just asked me." He paused, placing a hand on my shoulder.
      " In this period of time I have been able to see that you changed for the better. You're not the kid your parents described to me. I know the new you. You're a good kid now. I would've let you go." He smiled.

I was quite impressed by his words. I never thought he thought of me as a 'good kid' considering how rude I am with always.

"Well, thanks?" I said, sending him an attempt of a smile. "And, sorry."

You know, I'm not the type of person to apologize for my mistakes, but ever since I got here, I have done it several times. And the man didn't deserve to be treated the way I treat him. He's actually a better parent than my real Dad.

He actually cares about me, not about what everyone would say. Maybe he's just doing his job, but if that's the case, then he's doing it pretty damn well.