Chapter 8

We said bye to all of the family and friends and got to the airport. After handing tickets to the purple and going though security, we were on the plane. 8 hours from home. Well second home. I had on a locket. I got it from a friend. And when I say friend I mean Lydia. She knew that it was hard on me. She told me with this locket, that I will always have a piece of her. It was a family photo. It was long, like the necklace my mother gave me. I held onto it the whole ride.

When we arrived, we rented a car and drove to the farm. We got there after an hour, since the airport was in a bigger city an hour away. I walked in.

"Hey mamaw!" I said and hugged her. "Where's pop?" I asked.

"Out in the barn. He has a surprise for you." She said and smiled.

"Ok!" I said. Derek and I went to put up the bags in the rooms we will be saying in. He put Peter on his back and we went to the barn.

"Pop?" I called out. He came out of one of the horse stalls.

"Hey sweetie." He said and hugged me. "I have a surprise for you!" He said. I followed him to the stall he came out of. When I walked in I saw this beautiful quarter horse.

"She's wild. I found her in one of our fields a couple days ago. She barely let's me get near. I'm hoping you have better luck." He said.

"Yeah. I'll try. But I need to go get on work clothes. These are kinda nice." I said, looking down.

"Ok. That's fine." He said. Derek and Pop started talking while I went to go change. I got a t-shirt on, work jeans(boot cut) with my work boots. I then put on a flannel jacket with my carhart over it. My hats on in the barn. I went back out.

When I got back, Derek, pop, and Peter were looking at Candy, a light palomino we got 10 years ago. We have about 5 or 6 horses.

"Megan. Be careful. She's wild. She'll try to buck." Pop said. Derek followed. He was looking out.

I went in the stall and eased toward her. She got tense.

"Shhh. It's ok. Shh." I said. I stuck my hand out for her to sniff. I went back out to get an apple. We use them to train and get horses to trust. I went back in carefully. I got a little closer than before and stack the hand with the apple in it. She sniffed it and ate it. I got closer and what surprised me is she got closer too. I petted her. Her nose, then her mane, and I got a brush hanging up and groomed her. I got the rope that was tied around her head and eased her out of the stall. I took her to where we had the saddles. I tied her to a bar. I picked up a saddle and let her smell it, then I put it down. Next, I got a blanket we put under the saddle so it doesn't ware out the hair on the back and make it raw, so she could smell it as well. I put it against her back and she was fine, so I put it on her. Then I got the saddle again and let her smell again. I put it on her and strapped it. She did fine, so I got a bridle. I let her sniff it. I started putting it in her head, I eased it. It was completely on.

"I'm gonna take her for a ride." I said, while rubbing her head.

"Not alone." Derek said. Pop already had a horse ready. I rolled my eyes.

I got my hat on, then got on my horse.

'Good to be home.' I thought.

Derek must have been listening in because he looked at me and smiled.

We rode over the hill and through the creek. The farm was huge. It goes back to 1937. My great great grandfather bought 200 acres then. Now, we own about 950 and still growing.

"I see why you like riding every chance you get." Derek said, it broke off silence. "It's so peaceful." He said. I nodded.

"Yeah." I trailed off, I had to tell him. "Remember that one time I the sixth grade, my family and I came down here for half of the summer?" I asked. He nodded. "Well we got a horse then. She passed away when I moved here after the fire. I'll show you a picture. But. I rode her down to a spot and well. I'll just show you." I said. And rode down to a spot in one of many groves on the land. I dismounted and wrapped the rope part of the bridle around a branch. So did Derek, then he followed me to where I was going.