Investigation

I froze in place, my heart racing as I recognised each wolf in front of me from the slight flicks of their tails to how they cocked their heads to the side. These were the adults I grew up around, these were my family, the people who my parents protected. One of the wolves shifted into his human form, I didn't realise he was fully naked until he walked around another wolf. Osckar growled and I averted my eyes quickly, looking anywhere but down there.

Sam, the naked one spoke, "Alpha Darius was expecting you later this afternoon."

Osckar shifted and now both men stood exposed to the world, "I told him I'd be arriving today with the girl."

Sam looked at me without regard huddled between the Silent Pack, his eyes glazed over briefly then he nodded. The surrounding wolves backed off but they didn't venture far, Osckar reached into my backpack, pulling out a pair of grey board shorts. I wanted to huff in indignation, he should be carrying his own things!

Once Osckar was decent, Sam led us all to the packhouse still embracing his bathing suit. I'd forgotten how brazen some people could be, I'd been kept away from the borders most of the time so I didn't spend too much time with shifting males. I guess my innocence is no longer a thing to protect. As we walked through the outskirts of the village I caught snippets of conversation as people who were awake spotted us. As they saw Osckar two steps behind Sam glaring at his back and possibly thinking of ways to turn him into a pulp. As they saw me a few steps behind as a traitor, as something that was fabricated by the minions of Darius.

The packhouse was quiet as we approached except for the low breathing of those still asleep, Alpha Darius was waiting by the door, his arms folded across his chest. At his side was a new beta, Jeremy, Darius's son. I wanted to growl, how quickly had they decided who was going to take over my dad's position.

"Alpha Osckar," Darius greeted, holding his arm out. "I'm so pleased to hear that you captured our suspect. I was surprised to find out she ran so far out."

"She didn't," was all Osckar said.

"Jeremy, take Calla to the pack jail," Darius said with a dismissal wave of his hand.

Jeremey and a few of the wolves that escorted us came to grab me, but before anyone could even touch me Osckar let out a threatening growl. They all stopped confusion written all over their faces looking to their alpha for direction.

"What are you doing Osckar? She needs to be thrown into the pack jail than put to trial for her crimes." Darius looked mildly bemused.

"I'm afraid I can't let you do that." Osckar growled as he took a step in front of me, blocking Darius' view of me.

"Then why did you bring her here?" I could hear the annoyance filtering through his voice.

"She's under my protection, so you can have your trial if you want but she doesn't set foot in your pack jail. You will allow her to go back to her home and gather whatever she chooses and call off this manhunt you have on her."

Darius narrowed his eyes, "You have no right coming to my pack and giving me commands, she belongs to me by our laws, if you interfere we will have to take action against you."

"That's where you are wrong, Calla is my mate, my Luna and by accusing another packs Luna of any crime you need undeniable evidence to even place her in a pack jail." Darius's eyes widened as he learned that I was Osckar's mate. Anything he may have planned just went down the drain, I wanted to smirk at him smugly. I wanted to rub it in his face that he couldn't hurt me like he intended to.

He clenched his jaw, "Jeremy, escort Calla to the beta house, she can stay there for now."

I sighed in relief, the beta house was where I lived, and hopefully, they hadn't already moved my things out.