Run

The woodland blurred together in one long streak of greens and browns as I ran faster than I ever thought possible. My paws pounded rhythmically on the forest floor, dirt and small stones fanning behind me with each step I took. My ears were flat against my head listening out for sounds around me, I knew my pursuers weren't far behind.

I'm sure the blood coating my fur hadn't gone unnoticed by them, the sickly sweet smell of my parents' blood clung to me like a cloak. I turned my head up, slowing my pace and involuntarily let out a long loud painful howl in mourning the death of my parents. I'd been running for two days straight after they'd been killed at my pack's boundary while on a routine patrol. I'd blindly run, letting my legs take me where they pleased. My mind was barely on autopilot and instinct was the only thing keeping me alive; I was sure large roots and rocks would have taken me out without it.

I wasn't supposed to be there that night, instead I should have been home getting ready for bed. I'd been too energised and hopped up on my fathers stories he'd told me at the table that evening during dinner that I needed to see him in action for myself. He'd told me stories of how he took down rogues and kept smaller wicked packs from breaching our land. He'd become a legend in my eyes, a person to idolise. A person to strive to be when the time comes.

My dad was the Beta of the Red Howlers pack, the greatest Beta any pack had ever seen. To people on the outside, he was seen as a cold and ruthless killer but when he was with family that all changed. He would have been alpha just like his father but he turned it down, a reason unknown to anyone but me. I knew the reason why, I knew the dangers it would bring to my mother and the rest of the pack if she found out. It was a secret that I now had to keep all on my own.

I knew how to stalk, to keep hidden in the forage as I followed prey, so I was careful to keep a distance as I followed. It was even easier to fall back when I realised where they were going. Too wrapped up in perfecting my skills I didn't notice how the air felt around me until it was too late.

A rock tumbled down the slope and crashed into my foot jolting me out of my thoughts. I looked up and berated myself for not being aware of my surroundings. They've caught up. I turned to look on my right and two giant brown wolves ran only five feet from me. Rogues.

I stumbled onto them by accident ten minutes ago and had to change course, I'd veered too far west and wasn't sure what part of the country I'd was in. I knew I'd be far from home, two days straight would have at least taken me a hundred miles out. The larger of the two leaped at me, so I rolled out of the way, got back on my feet and continued my run taking longer strides. My feet barely touched the ground but I knew I wouldn't be able to keep this pace for long. I was already tired and hungry, this adrenaline would soon come crashing down like a bad whiplash and I'd be left vulnerable.

Teeth clapped down on my left hind leg, I lost my balance from the momentum and tumbled forward. I didn't stay down for long though, a warning growl bubbled within my chest as I snapped my teeth back towards the perpetrator, catching a piece of his ear between my teeth. He whimpered as I drew blood, it was enough of a distraction that he loosened his grip. I shook my hind leg out of his grasp and turned to face him. I lowered my head, bearing my teeth and as I let out a feral growl. It was fuelled by my anger, sadness, frustration and most of all fear, but it was enough to get them nervous about their attack.

I wasn't some female that they could easily mount and have their way with. I growled again, making sure to put a menacing emphasis on it towards the end. If they believed I'd kill them if they touched me again they'd know better and turn away. I waited a heartbeat before they both darted up the slope, scampering as their claws tried to find firm ground.

I gave a satisfied huff but underneath it all I was tremorring. Now that it was over, I needed to work out exactly where I was. There were rules and boundaries that us werewolves couldn't cross without damning consequences, especially if you arrived unannounced. I gazed at the unfamiliar forest, I was definitely in unfamiliar territory, everything smells weird and wrong and to be here without guidance made my heart ache. It had been an awful two days of being an orphan and an exhausting two days of being a lone wolf. I just wanted to collapse in a nice warm bed and sleep forever. However this right here, in these woods, was my reality, I couldn't go back to being a happy teen.