Demise

I My body had a new surge of strength even after the lengths it had to go through completely healing me and bringing me back to life. I was only out for a couple of minutes. The war was still raging and there was a part I could play in winning it. My parents had said as much, I still had things to do, I had now become something else. I sprinted out into the open , shifting as I went but there was something different. As I passed each member of the pack I could no longer feel a tie towards them. The bond I'd built was severed, death had been the end of it but I was not done fighting. I wasn't going to let those Witches take anymore from me than they already had.
A channel of whispers echoed in my mind, I could only make out the familiar voice of my dad.

We're all behind you, all your ancestors.

That whisper surged me on. Everything moved by in a blur.

I reached an impasse where the magic was strong, gusts of wind formed a tornado around two elegant people. To the side a wolf was poised and ready to lunge at any moment hovered just outside of that swirling tornado following Elvira's every move. There was no mistaking the wolf for anyone but Osckar.  I squinted trying to make out exactly what was happening in the tornado.

Cordelia was in a deadly dance with another witch I assumed was Elvira. I noticed that Elvira was already injured blood flowed out of her side and stained her Pearl satin dress. She hadn't even thought to wear battle appropriate attire, that's how confident she'd been in winning.

Despite the gash on her side Elvira laughed maniacally and dove for Cordelia, tackling her to the ground. They tumbled over each other from the force,  limbs flying and scythe flailing as they tried not to stab themselves.  The tornado around them didn't falter, not even as Oscar lunged into the swirling tornado as if he'd seen a way in. He rebounded with an electrical force, stumbling back over his feet but remained upright.

His attack spurred me into action, and I myself approached the tornado while the two witches fought for their lives. When I could feel the gale winds snapping against my fur and my eyes began to water I felt her magic. I felt the magic Elvira was using and in some part of me I recognised it.

It sung to me like a sweet melody I'd heard and forgotten long ago. It sounded like home, it sounded like it was a part of me. My body hummed and I felt magic begin to bubble within me, eager to meet the challenge ahead. To claim it, to dominate it. I hunched back then with all the power of my muscles I sprung into the tornado.

My magic burning away that sweet song that stopped me from entering. I landed softly on my feet, the two witches still sparring hadn't noticed my presence.

I watched as Elvira threw a heavy blow to Cordelia's temple with a resounding crack. I bristled as her body crumbled to the ground and Elvira laughed. I let out a low growl getting her attention. She'd turned to me startled but then a sadistic smile covered her blood soaked face.

"I thought you were dead."

I think you're mistaken. I said willing my voice to reach her.

Her sadistic smile turned into a frown, did she understand me?

"I see your ancestors favoured you then." she said, cocking her head to the left in the most inhuman way.

She didn't sound like what I'd just done was impossible. There was no surprise in her face, just pure satisfaction that she was right. That she had still won despite her horrific plans  failing.

It would appear they did.

She smiled again, "They gave me a worthy opponent then. Why don't you shift back and fight me Witch to Witch."

I hesitated. She knew and maybe she even planned for it.

There was no way I'd win in human form. I hadn't done enough training nor could I move as fast as the Witches did. If I fought as a wolf there would be no way of actually killing her. Only a witches blade could do that.

I pounded a paw on the ground, my decision had been made. I was a wolf, I would fight in this form.

"As you wish." she crooned.

She circled me before throwing a few teasing swipes.

I dodged each one.

"Come now, why don't you try and fight me."

I didn't take the bait.

So she attacked. Her movements so precise and fluid I barely had time to move. I went low and grabbed her ankle, biting with enough force that it snapped.

She howled.

I gave her no time before lunging for her hand that held her blade, she was forced to let go.

"Enough!" she shouted and a blast of darkness hit me.

Its magnitude burned and scorched my fur and skin, the pain overwhelming. I gritted my teeth, fighting my way against the pain and remembering I had a new talent now. Mustering that ancient power I felt earlier I pushed back, letting it pulse out of me in a protective bubble. Out came a blue light, it flowed from me like fire, cold fire. It pushed back against the darkness, forcing it to yield the space it encompassed.

I grunted at the sheer strength it took, the darkness felt like a truck had landed on me and I had to throw it off. The darkness continued to burn but I could feel it less with each passing second. I was growing weak and tired.

A breathless air escaped from me as I released the pressure that built up, forcing it to mould around and within Elvira. It consumed her head to toe until nothing was left. When the last of my strength left me, I collapsed. The tornado stopped and the roar of the battle ended abruptly until the territory was left in utter silence.

There was nothing left of Elvira, not even the ashes of her clothing were in sight. I panted and began to shake. Was it enough to hope that it was finally over? I stopped that thought.
Mustering whatever strength I had left I forced myself to my feet and walked to Cordelia. She lay limp on the ground but was still breathing, blue and black bruises started to bloom across her face and arms.

I reached for the mind link but couldn't reach it. I couldn't even call for help. I howled, my head tilted high the sound triumphant. Another wolf echoed my howl followed by another then another until a chorus of celebrations began.

I turned to find Osckar only to see him up and staring at me. Like I was a stranger he'd been tentative to meet, we no longer shared the mating bond so where did this leave us?

He shifted his long legs bringing him to me in a few short steps, I did the same. I let out a sob just as he reached out for me and stepped into his arms. I cried and let my body shake both from relief and exhaustion and happiness. Underneath it I felt him do the same as he held me tightly against his body. He whispered into my ear over and over.

"Never again. I won't let that happen again."

I held him tighter knowing that this was just the beginning.