Rogues

Roman and I drove up to the border in the northeast part of the territory, where the trees were denser. More trees meant more places to hide and more resources available. If they wanted, the rogues could stake us out, food would be in abundance for them. For us too if we could get rid of them, we all needed to be at our full strength should the witches decide to attack.

I mind-linked Osckar on the way. I'm out with Roman, we're going to sort out the rogue's problem and have a little word with Alpha William.

I didn't know why I did it. Why I gave him the courtesy of letting him know my whereabouts. I was sure Roman would've done it anyway, he probably already had.

Through the connection, I could feel Osckars annoyance like a tidal wave crashing over me. You're putting yourself in danger, I left the rogues to Roman. He deals with it. You stay away from William, he can throw all the rogues he likes at us, it won't make a dent.

I suppressed a sigh as I rolled my eyes then rested my head against the window before I spoke again.

But it already is, Roman is exhausted, how many of your fighters are in the same condition? We need to end this now before it's a full-scale war.

I'll deal with it. That was all he said.

No, I will, you're too far out to do this now and I don't need to feel another threat breathing down my neck. This can be dealt with quickly, the witches can wait. You know I'm right.

He growled through the link just like I suspected he would, things weren't going his way and I wasn't about to blindly follow his lead. Not anymore. He wasn't doing a good job as it was and I wanted this over today.

"What's got you frowning?" Roman asked from the driver's side, he glanced at me quickly again before looking ahead.

"I was just talking to Osckar."

"Ahh yes, the wonders of having an Alpha for a mate."

"Watch it," I snapped then I grinned, gaining control over my emotions, "that's your brother you're talking to."

Roman grinned.

He was so oblivious to my inner turmoil. I didn't know whether to be mad that no one here could see it from my point of view, or see the damage that Osckar had caused between us. Was I that good of an actor?

The car slowed then came to a stop near the edge of the woods, right when the density of the trees made it impossible for a car to pass through. Roman and I walked side by side as he led me to the border, the sounds of snarling and barking reached my ears well before I could see any wolves. As we got close I could see at least twelve members of our pack lined up about a meter apart forming the line of attack.

I scanned ahead, squinting my eyes trying to make out any wolf or human figures but the trees were too tightly packed. If it weren't for the taunting laughs and snarls over my pack I would think their intelligence had been reduced to the simple minds of house pets.

"Have you spoken to them?" I asked Roman just barely above a whisper.

"No, they keep dancing around us." His voice was filled with the same frustration I felt, "We're not savages so according to the law we're not allowed to kill rogues unless they breach our borders. As you can see this is all they've been doing and it would be a crime to just outwardly kill them despite what my brother thinks."

I snorted remembering the day I had been chased and battered, "There is no such law about rogues."

"Maybe not universally but Osckar set the law for us." I rolled my eyes, "In the past, it caused more trouble than it was worth. We killed a rogue once but because he was the son of an alpha they declared war on us."