The Summoning

It had been a day after the attacks and Osckar and I had hashed out our problems. For the first time we'd known each other we sat down and had a proper adult conversation. To say the least, I was relieved that we could do that, it was even better as he sat quietly listening to all my points before he voiced his. He hadn't liked that I'd gone headfirst without proper precautions but he acknowledged that after he'd seen me fight he knew I could hold my own. He'd also admitted to realizing that the image he'd painted of me in his head didn't match the version I truly was. Osckar had also said watching me be surrounded like that and in danger scared him, he didn't want anything to happen to me, both physically and emotionally. I'd been through hell and back already. He'd conceded that he was wrong and that his feelings for me were real and that we could make it work. Osckar will be there for me from now on, whatever I decide. We'd called it a truce, a true partnership to defeat the Witches, and whatever the outcome we'd go from there.

We'd be a powerhouse who cared for their pack, who wanted to thrive and be successful. I'd make sure to do it if we lived that long. This was all I had now, this pack and its people were mine to embrace but not all of them thought like I did. As Alpha, I would do everything in my power to change that, to change the course of this pack for the better.

I was on a leisurely walk through the pack grounds and was already heading back to the house. I knew that the new schedules had been handed out and wanted time to myself before I was bombarded with a thousand questions. In my peripheral I noticed a figure walking towards me, arms swinging in an angry gait.

This would be interesting.

"From the look you're giving me I'd bet on all my money that you've just heard about the new schedules." I turned towards Bay who stopped next to me huffing in anger.

"What the hell is going on?" she asked, "Everyone is walking on eggshells while Osckar tries to reassure the pack that you're still a good fit. You killing one of us has left everyone unsettled, Marie is in such a state she can't even leave her house knowing you're out here roaming around."

I narrowed my eyes, "First off all, I don't have to tell you anything. And secondly what happened to Marie's son was a tragedy but I was defending myself and what happened, happened. There is no changing that. I would appreciate it if you just went back to whatever you were assigned to do because we need to be prepared for what's coming and fighting amongst each other isn't going to help the situation."

"This pack is going to fall apart because of you." she waved a finger in my face.

I ran a hand through my hair and tugged it at the end in frustration.

"Just go do what was asked of you Bay, I don't have time to argue with you."

"What is the threat that has Osckar so worked up?" Bay continued narrowing her eyes, " He's never had to worry about anyone before. What did you do?"

I flushed red hot in anger but reminded myself that I was trying to win the pack over. I had to see if we were going to face what was to come. Me running now wouldn't save them so this is how it had to be.

"Let's just say that the threat we're about to face makes your brother look like a cuddly puppy." I sneered hoping that would knock some common sense into her.

Her face turned white like a ghost, "What happened?"

"Look, it's a long story, Bay. Maybe when all this is over and if I'm still alive I'll explain it all to you but right now we need to be as ready as we can and that means you going back to training or doing something productive. I care about the pack and your brother, we are doing everything we can to ensure the safety of everyone."

"Right." She muttered before walking away.

I rolled my shoulders back letting out a soft sigh before walking to the packhouse. Roman was sitting on the porch, papers were spread out and a pen was in his hand.

"What are you looking at?" I asked sitting on the step below him.

"Hmm," his eyes flickered up momentarily his eyebrows furrowing the same way Osckar's did, "I'm just looking at the layout, studying all the weak links, and trying to figure out how to strengthen them out."

I looked at the map he was studying and noted all the x marks he placed then the areas that were circled.

"The East side of the territory doesn't have any markings," I said pointing to the map.

"Oh, that's because it's the area with the stone maze, it's almost impossible to navigate if you haven't got a guide."

I hummed intrigued I hadn't known that. "I still think we should have a few wolves scattered around that area, we don't want to take any chances of a surprise attack by leaving us vulnerable."

"I think I can assign five or six wolves here then," he said as he wrote a note on the side of the page.

We both stared at the map, making changes here and there to our plan well until the sun went down.

...

At two minutes to midnight Osckar and I stood in the empty dining room with the lights dimmed. My book was propped open to the summonings page and I anxiously stared at the words, my heart racing as I read the instructions over and over.

I looked at the clock, one more minute until I had to recite the scribbled short spell that stated only at midnight exactly should the spell be said. I parted my lips, wetting them with my tongue as I prepared to say the words.

"Now," Osckar whispered into the night.

"I summon thee of my blood

By right of birth to my aid

In haste, you come to thee"

Finished saying my words loud and clear and then I waited. My heart hammered so loudly it was deafening as I waited. A cool breeze caresses my neck and arms sending a shot of lightning through me. I gasp in wonder.

"Did you feel that?" I asked.

Osckar nodded, his chin coming to rest on the top of my head, "I think it worked."

"I think so too."

Thanks to those who are still reading, please leave a comment below.