Threat

After hours of reading through the book, we found a way to summon the witches. I was hesitant to even think about using a summoning spell now that I knew it was possible. All my life I was brought up to fear the witches, regardless of which clan they came from. There was always a chance that the summoning could go wrong and I would end up in a worse situation. I couldn't bear the thought of winding up in their hands. If all my father's efforts went to waste because of a mistake that I made.

I was undecided but the best decision for me right now was to wait it out, gather all the information I needed before I put myself and the pack in danger. I could only hope that the Witches didn't come sniffing around asking for more favours from Osckar. And I had to trust that he wouldn't go looking for them himself, he was bull-headed and didn't think about the consequences. I could only hope I could somehow reign him in. Keep him away from the savages that killed an entire bloodline because of their beliefs. They were pure evil and wicked to the bone. That much I knew.

I laughed to myself, that was probably the same thing humans said about us werewolves and while the stories were not completely true they were right to fear us.

I lounged about in the packhouse, my feet propped up on the recliner as I contemplated life, and tried to work out a plan that did not involve the witches.

"You know," a male voice said from behind me "you won't solve all your life problems by just sitting there."

I tilted my head back to look at Jamie, he had a bowl in his hands and from the sweet smell, I could tell it was a fresh batch of popcorn.

"Well, I don't have any plans today and this seemed like the best way to get things done."

He grinned and moved to sit in the opposite chair.

"It's always best to get great ideas when you have different scenery."

I sighed, " I don't think a change in scenery is going to help me with this problem that I've got."

"Maybe I can help." He said, shoving a mouthful of popcorn in his mouth.

"I don't think you can help with this one," I said rolling my head so that it rested on the arm of the chair.

He hummed under his breath but didn't say more. I looked at Jamie, his face so similar to his brothers, he would be one of those caught in the crossfire. Undeserving of the wrath that follows me, it would devour anything good that stood in the way and he and many others in this pack would die for me. I didn't want that. There had to be a way for them to stay out of this.

I knew without a doubt Osckar would never let me stand alone when or if they came for me. I also knew it was time to stop running. Generations of running have led to this, it has left me without parents and it may leave my future kids without theirs. It would be better to strike first, to find a way to defeat the Witches of the Old and end this tiring cycle.

I remained in my seat well into the night trying to formulate a plan, trying to understand what I had read. The house was silent, just the soft breathing of those asleep. I heard footsteps approaching the house, their familiar rhythm leaving me unconcerned.

Osckar opened the front door, his shoes scraping against the polished wooden floor.

"I didn't know you were still awake." He said, his voice rough as he caught sight of me.

"I can't sleep." I said swinging my legs to the floor and stood, "I just keep thinking about all the ways this could end." I walked a short distance to stand in front of him.

"We'll figure out what to do, I already traced back my steps when I met with the witches."

My head jerked back in shock, " I didn't realise that you actually met them in person, I just assumed you got a letter or something and you agreed."

He nodded, " I did get a letter, it was a request to see them, well it was more of a demand and the only thing I know as a threat to the pack would be the witches. So I went and I agreed, negotiating my terms."

"Where did you meet them?"

"Across the river in Bodmine, where the humans are most populated."

Of course, that would be the best meeting place, it was a good way to not expose us to the humans, there was less of a chance a fight would break loose, neither creature would want humans declaring war on us like in the old days. Instead of their pitchforks, they'll bring on machine guns and tranq darts to examine our bodies in pristine white labs.

"There is a chance that they live among the humans," I said, "I wouldn't be surprised if they blended in, they have a much easier time than us to adapt. I bet there's a place close by that they use to shelter the clan."

Osckar shook his head.

"I thought that too, so I went with a few others and we couldn't find the witch's scent anywhere close to the town, if they are living among the humans they're not in Bodmine."

Fear flared up within me.

"You shouldn't have risked it, what if they were there? I couldn't bear to lose more people, especially to them."

"Even if we did find them, they wouldn't know we were mated, they would have no reason to kill me."

I shook my head "You can't afford to think like that. They have magic, they can always find a way to link you to me. We're mated, that bond between us runs deeper than blood, they'll find out somehow." My voice had risen to near hysteria.

Osckar ran a soothing hand down my arm sending a shock through me, it was weird having him touch me so I stepped back.

"It will all be alright in the end, I'll find a way." His face was rigid, the promise of his words written all over his features.

The next morning Roman was hanging about the house, I hadn't seen him in a while, and from the looks of it, Osckar was keeping him busy. He looked haggard like he hadn't had any sleep for days, his hair was a mess and his clothes stunk of body odor and something worse.

"Are you alright?" I asked as he poured himself some water from its container.

He turned to face me with a faint smile on his lips. "I'm as good as I can be Calla. Your mate has been using me to his full advantage."

"Maybe you should go to bed," I said folding my arms across my chest. "You're not going to be much help if you're half-dead on your feet."

"I'm afraid I can't, someone's got to do my rounds and I'm not leaving it up to anyone who won't do a better job than me."

I raised my eyes, at his defiance and determination, or was it just his stubbornness that shone through.

"If you're worried about what Osckar will say, leave it to me. As for your job tell me what it is and I'll do it."

Roman laughed, "Thanks for the offer but I'm sure my brother would kill me himself if I let you anywhere my duties."

"I've got nothing better to do, at least let me tag along, I need to be doing something."

Roman eyed me as if he was going to say no, but then he thought better of it and reluctantly agreed.

"I'm clearing out the area of rogues, somehow there's a whole pack of them threatening to breach our borders. I have a feeling that Alpha William seems to be making trouble for us."

I practically sprang to attention at the mention of his name, Alpha William was clearly trying to start something and it was the last thing I needed right now. It appears that Osckar is so preoccupied with the impending threat of the witches that he's not ending this oncoming battle before it happens at full scale. I had a feeling that this was a small-scale war.

"Do you have proof that the rogues are the cause of William?" I asked.

"No, but he pretty much declared it last month to Osckar. His scent is mingled with the group, but maybe a good few days old."

I sighed feeling frustrated but my urge to fight had my muscles tensing, this would be good for me. I needed to feel like I could control some part of my life and I felt like Alpha William was the best way to do it. I needed to put him in his place.

I looked at Roman my hands falling to my side, "Alright, let's head out and meet these rogues."