Cordelia

I could hardly sleep that night, my blood was churning in anticipation as I waited for the Witches of the North. I tossed and turned my mind coming up with countless scenarios, some that were so absurd I rolled my eyes at myself. Eventually, I succumbed to sleep, but it wasn't for long, I jolted out of bed at the sound of a shout coming from outside somewhere.

Osckar who was still sleeping at the foot of the bed bolted out of the room with the speed of light. I flung the bedding off me and ran to the window, pressing my forehead against the glass as I looked out into the dusk covered backyard. It was early morning from what I could tell and a few wolves darted from the pack house into the trees and hills around us.

I yanked on a pair of jogging bottoms and made my way downstairs with the same urgency everyone seemed to have. But there wasn't fearful energy about, just an edge of excitement that bubbled beneath the surface. If it wasn't a threat then it could only be one thing that could rile the pack up.

I just hoped that it was who I thought it would be. Osckar was not taking any chances until he and I got a good look at our newcomers. He'd sent an emergency patrol group to support the wolves already out there. I watched his figure from the door frame of the house as he stood just feet away dashing out his commands.

Approaching him, I couldn't help but tangle my fingers in his and give them a hopeful squeeze. Osckar looked down at me and I could see that same hope in his eyes, but it was mixed with fear. Something I hadn't really seen in him until now.

Together we walked towards the pair of wolves silently waiting to be addressed. George and Elda, I thought to myself, trying my best to name both of them as they began to speak in unison through the mind link.

I've never smelled anything like them before. They're about a minute out now.

I nodded and took a deep breath as the wind blew towards me and tasted the sweet flowery scent followed by a hint of a salty sea smell. It was the Witches, good or bad I didn't know.

I could hear them now, their footfalls were gentle and light but because everyone froze in anticipation almost holding their breaths it was easier to hear. Roman who stood beside us shifted quickly standing in front of me while the others fanned out a few feet ahead. I let go of Osckar's hand and stood with my feet apart ready to move if I had to. Fight or flight.

Like magic the trees parted, bowing in an archway as four women walking side by side emerged from the woods like something out of a fairytale. All of them, willowy in stature and stunning to look at took long graceful steps towards us. There was nothing immediately that screamed danger to me but I'd learned that something that looks beautiful on the outside could be packed full of deadliness and ugly intent.

As they got closer and I could really see their features, the one in the middle, the one that walked just ahead of the others, shocked me. It was like looking in a mirror and seeing what I'd look like as a mature woman. She had the same shade of brown hair, a few strands caressed her sculpted face that somehow made her look like a runway model.

I could feel the uneasiness that rippled through the pack and Osckar himself. I could feel their eyes on me as they too noted the obvious resemblance. I tried my best to ignore it, I had enough on my plate as it was.

She looks just like you Osckar's voice was soft in my mind.

Still, I didn't take my eyes off of her.

I guess they really are my family. I wanted to believe it, wanted to hope that these distant relatives of mine were really here for me. I was not alone.

Don't be so trusting. Osckar warned as if he knew exactly where my thoughts had gone.

When they stopped I smiled and mustered up all the confidence and authority I had in me.