Phantom

I had no control of my body, it was like my mind was trapped in a cage, sealed off and separate from my body. I was a phantom, a puppet that was utterly under the command of someone else no matter how hard I fought to regain control over my limbs. I had to watch as I did unspeakable things, I couldn't cower or cover my eyes and pretend I was someplace else. No, I experienced it all first hand.

I'd been so stressed and anxious as I watched the scene unfold, grateful for every bite, every kick she threw my way. Calla had done everything I could ever ask for, she fought valiantly up until that distraction cost her everything. Cost me everything.

I yelled and clawed at the cage that kept me prisoner in my own body, I thought I was mentally strong enough to fight this off. That cage wouldn't budge and the tang of magic was strong. I helplessly watched as my wolf form tore into my mate's neck, felt the blood rush into my mouth and slip between my lips as I finally crushed her windpipe and ended her life.

As soon as she went limp I felt that magic cage holding me down evaporate like a foggy day giving way to the sun. I unlatched my jaw from around her feeling numb as I watched her head make contact with the ground in a soft thud. My stomach rolled and bile rose to the edge of my throat. I knew she was dead but still, I searched for our mate bond, that piece of me that belonged to her. That had always belonged to her.

There was nothing on the other side of that string, just emptiness, and an endless abyss of loneliness. My heart cracked into a million pieces as I watched my world shatter. She was mine and I was hers, even in death. I love her, oh I loved her so much my heart ached.

I needed her in my arms.

I shifted into my human form, my hands gentle as I lifted her head into my lap. I was conscious of how much damage I'd done, her fur was covered in blood but I could see the deep gashes that scattered on her body. My mind went back to the first day I saw her. When she was in that cell, I felt a roar inside me, an outrage that someone would dare hurt her. I'd vowed then to myself to protect her, but I'd failed. I'd failed on so many levels it was a joke. I wasn't right for her, I wasn't a good mate. Calla, she'd been the good one, the one who was quick to think of others. The one who still kept me around after everything I'd done.

She was too good for this world. She deserved better.

"She'll be alright." A gentle voice said breaking me out of my grief.

I growl deeply, a threat against the intrusion of my mourning. I'd forgotten that she was still here.

"I'm tired of you witches and your spells." I spat out, I was done with playing with fire. Done with the risks that magic made me take, made her take.

If this plan of theirs didn't work I'd kill every last one of them, no matter how long it took.

"It'll work, give it a few hours and she'll be up and about running this pack as usual."

Some part of me clung to that hope, that maybe in a few hours she'd be awake. She'd just gone to sleep for now.

"Is Elvira dead yet?" I asked, my eyes never leaving hers.

"I don't think so. Cordelia hasn't sent up the signal."

A new rage erupted from me. I placed Calla down gently, closing her eyes so it looked as if she was just sleeping. I was up and heading for the door.

"Don't leave her side."

Florence grabbed my arm. I shook her off, not breaking my stride.

"I don't think that's a good idea!"

I slammed the doors open, ignoring her warning. Through the pack's mind link I could feel the others mourning the loss of their alpha, but no one dared to make a sound. The battle was still raging and there was no point endangering everyone else.

I shifted back into my wolf form and let out the mournful howl that had been simmering at the bottom of my throat. If the enemy heard me then so be it.

Cordelia POV.

I finally had Elvira where I wanted her. After all these centuries of her disobedience and violence I can finally end it. She gave me a taunting smile, her lips curved to one side, darkening her once vibrant blue eyes into grey. The wind she created around us to keep others at bay batted and whipped her dark hair behind her.

I gripped my weapon in my hand and swung it down in a sharp slicing motion but she leaped out of the way. And so, the dance began, we weaved past each other ducking and whirling, my weapon of choice cleaving through the air just millimeters away from her skin. She knew just when to move out of the way.

I hummed with fury, my moves getting quicker by the second.

With one final gust of energy I fiend left but hit her from the right. Striking her in the side. My weapon was so deeply logged into her that I had to pull with all my might to extract it.

Elvira's once mischievous face turned to a look of horror, I'd actually defeated her. In a swipe with no hesitation at all I swung for her head.