Chapter 3

I wake when I feel something ice cold on my shoulder. I yelp and pull back from Bea as she massages a lotion into my shoulder.

"Calm down, hon. Almost done." She soothes.

I then notice that Xavier is in the room, chuckling at my discomfort.

"When did you get here?"

"Earlier, Leo had to go back to his tent, so I came here to check on you."

I nod as Bea finishes, giving me a warm smile before leaving.

After some silence, Xavier says, "Your sister comes back today."

"Don't remind me." I groan. My sister, Reyna, and I used to be very close when we were little. I feel nostalgic remembering when we used to play as little girls by the lake. But then one day she cut me out completely. She left for a trip and came back a different person. Ever since then she's treated me and everyone else like a jerk. Except for Xavier, now that's an interesting story. Once she came back from her trip, she took a sudden interest in him. I always thought it was disgusting, liking your guardian? But she did, and with her short, black hair, bright blue eyes, and slim yet curvy body she got him. They've been dating for a little over a year now.

"Well wouldn't you be happy?" I spit at him. I know it's not his fault she shut me out, but I can't help but feel a little jealous. Sisters stick together right? Apparently not.

"Kira, you know I'm sorry right? I really am. I don't know what it would feel like go suddenly get shut out by the one family member you have." He says, offering me his hand and gently pulling me up.

"Yeah, well she ruined the word 'family' for me a while ago. Now, the only family I have is you and Leo." I say, trying to change the topic to protect my fragile feelings for Reyna.

"Thanks," he says, walking outside the Medical Treatment tent. "But I wanted to talk to you about somethings. First, the Elxi, he's in prison and we are still deciding what to do with him." His looks darkens as he talks about him, but then lightens a little more as he continues. "And our Scouters found someone new today!"

"Really?" I say surprised. Scouters have rarely been finding people now a days, thanks to the Elxi's high security measures.

"Yeah," Xavier sighs and runs a hand through his hair. "He's young, about 19, and I want you to show him around. Maybe get to know him." He winks at me.

"Shut up." I grumble.

He laughs and leads me towards our new Shifter.

We duck into the main tent, and everyone stands. The tent is big and in the center of town. This is were we hold all our meeting with the council leaders. I walk to the front seat on the right edge and sit down on the little stools. On my left is Reyna's empty seat and next to her, Xavier, in the middle.

"Friends," Xavier starts, his voice quickly silencing everyone. "These last few days have been difficult for us. Having an Elxi in the camp, threatening one of our young and shooting Kira." All eyes turn to me as I feel the bullet holes' dull throbbing in my shoulder return. "But we also found a fellow Shifter. Friends, this is Brady Peterson."

My head snaps up as I see a young man entering the middle of the circle. He does look young, 19 seems right. His wind-swepped blonde hair comes up to his chin, but it's his eyes that startle me. Grey. A deep shade of grey, that grows darker around the edges, and then his tall, muscular body with...

What the hell? Snap out of it Kira!

"Brady was found earlier today and has already master Water Shifting and Air Shifting." Xavier says. I raise my eyebrows. 2 Elements? Talented... Most of us have mastered at least one, and some have done two, including me: Water Shifting and Dirt Shifting.