Chapter 7

I drop the papers off in my tent and head to the Big Tent, knowing Xavier will want a meeting.

"Xavier?" The table in the center of the Big Tent is covered in papers and pencils. The council is huddled around the table discussing battle plans.

"Hey. We're just starting the meeting." Worry is etched onto his face as he talks to me. His anxiety also shows by the way his eyes dart back and forth. Xavier puts on a good mask, but you can see through it if you know where to look. His eyes give it all away, same with most people, same with me.

I nod and pull a stool up to the table, ignoring Reyna's eyes burning into my back from where she stands in the corner.

"Engineers, I want you to look at some of the weapons and break it down. Try building it and see what it does. Soldiers, stay here to talk about the best way to go against their plans. Medical, get herbs and make more medicine and antibiotics. Go. Stay strong. They need you now. Get some sleep, we start tomorrow." Xavier says with a finality to his voice.

The meeting is quick, and I make a mental note to find Brady first thing in the morning.

Ok Kira, forget whatever you need to do because right now what you need is a shower.

I quickly say bye to Xavier and head back to my tent. I grab a pair of fresh clothes and a towel and walk to the showers. The shower room is one of the other buildings we have because of the need to run pipes. I open the door to the building and walk into the last corner stall. I turn the water on, keeping it towards the cold.

I step into the cold stream and stand still. Goosebumps rise all over my body but I don't change the temperature. The cold water runs over my body, cleaning my bloody, dirty face.

What's going to happen to us? The Elxi are stronger, they have guns, they-

I stop my thought there, not wanting it to finish. It doesn't matter if they have more technology, we can control the elements. We can be stronger, we just need to train.

We need time, power... guns.

I stand up straighter in the water as the thought dawns on me. Guns! Of course. We have two already, if the engineers can find out how to make them, then we could be technologically equal. I grin as I quickly wash myself and jump out of the shower excitedly. I jump into a pair of new clothes and gather my stuff.

Shit Kira! Don't slip! I mentally scold myself as I run outside the shower room. I jog to the middle of Camp, searching for Xavier until my eyes land on the Big Tent lit up by candles.

"Hey." I say to the guard waiting by the entrance. "Let me in?" He says nothing, only shakes his head. "Why not?" I demand, only to receive another nod.

For Christ's sake. I try to step around him, shove him, duck under him, jump over him, distract him, but none of it works; he just keeps getting in my way.

"Will you move out of the damn entrance!" I have never been a patient person, and especially now that we have a better chance against the Elxi, I have practically no patience left. As soon as the words leave my mouth, Xavier and a soldier step out.

"What are you doing here?" Xavier asks me.

"Looking for you actually. I just had a great idea, we just need the engineers and a gun. Go-"

"Stop." Xavier's voice is rough as it stops me. "Go to bed Kira. You have hard days ahead of you."

"But can you just-"