Chapter 11

I stare at the Wall, watching the Elxi patrol the sides of it. "We use the hole Ralph told us about." I turn to address the group. "It's over there." I point towards the small opening where there are no guards.

"Okay," Cassi stands up. "I'll go, you cover me."

Before I can answer, she gets up and runs towards the wall.

"Cassi!" I get up and run towards her. She ignores my calls and looks around twice before running into the open. I groan and pull out my gun, crouching closer to the trees. She easily slips into the hole and sticks her head out, giving me a thumbs up.

"We go in groups." I point to the soldiers. "Two per group."

"Go Firecracker. We need a gun over there." Jude says from the trees.

"You guys go after me." I turn to him and say "Cover me."

I step out of the protection of the trees when I feel a hand on my elbow. "Two per group." Hayes says firmly.

I nod at her and then look at Jude. He raises his gun and points towards the Elxi on the other side. His eyes flicker back towards me for a second before I raise my own gun and move forward.

One step after another.

My eyes continuously flicker from the hole to Hayes.

Almost there.

Hayes and I safely dive into the hole, dirt flying up from around us. Cassi is there instantly, thrusting a hand out and helping us up. I wipe my dusty hands on my jeans, leaving light brown marks on them. Keeping my gun firmly loaded, I stick my head out of the small hole and look across to Jude. He gives me a thumbs up as two more people run through.

Two at a time. Come on, the small voice in my head chants until almost everyone is inside. Jude and another soldier, Matt Parkman, are the last ones. As soon as Jude steps into the open, the gun goes off.

I immediately raise my own and point towards the Elxi, waiting for their next move. Jude's gun is aimed at them too, Parkman hidden behind him. The Elxi don't shoot again, but I know if Jude and Parkman move, they will.

I glance back to the group, some crouched around me, some standing, some sitting. Hayes stands next to Luke, a soldier, as she scans around the dark city.

I pull out the small radio, and press the button Hayes told me to yesterday.

"Jude."

Static answers me until I hear a small, "Firecracker." from the other side.

"Plan? What're you thinking of?"

"Distraction. Get everyone somewhere safe and use one bullet. Understood? One." His voice carries a level of authority as I release the button.

"You heard him." I look to one of our soldiers, Luke, and then to Hayes. "Everyone stay together and get in that alley." I point to my left as they walk over cautiously.

"One bullet coming up." I say into the radio. Peaking my head out of the hole, I see one Elxi patrolling alone. I crawl out of the hole carefully, staying close to the ground and hidden in the shadows. Slowly, I move closer until I can get a clear shot.

"Inhale, aim, exhale, fire." Xavier's voice rings in my ear from months ago. I raise the gun, and look back for a second to the trees where Jude and Parkman stand.