Chapter 5

"Don't move." The voice says again. My struggling stops but my mind is going a thousand miles per second. I recognize that voice, I just can't name him. The blindfold still covers my eyes, preventing me from seeing who he is. When I feel a hand run up my arm, I throw my weight the other way. The dagger slices deeper, the trickle of blood becoming stronger. Suddenly someone removes the gag, allowing me to talk again.

"W-What do you want?" I gasp, sucking in air.

"Fire Shifter...Surprising eh boss?" A second voice asks. Fire? No one knows except the council... so one of them is in the council.

"Shut it you bastard! She still has ears!" Boss snaps. I wince as I hear skin hitting skin. "You, Kira, are very important to the cause, so we obviously need you alive." The second guy scoffs. "You can't go to Athanatos anymore. We need you alive and well, and then the Elxi can have you." Boss chooses his words carefully, not to let any more information slip.

To hell with that. You think a simple "No." is gonna keep me here?

"So let me tell you Kira, we have eyes and ears all around Camp so trying to sneak out won't work." Boss says. I hear his footsteps get louder and know he is getting closer. Without warning, I feel a strong pull on my hair. My head snaps backwards, pain flashing through it. I feel a sharp sting on my cheek as he slaps me. Listen Kira. Footsteps. I stand absolutely still, listening for footsteps but it doesn't work. I yelp as a pair of strong hands cover my mouth, my screams muffled. A fist collides with my stomach three times, making me double over in pain. My stomach is burning, sending prickles of pain up to my chest. Blood seeps down into my shirt, my neck stinging from the dagger.

I can barely register when the second voice says "Boss, we need her to be ok."

"Ugh..." Boss groans. Relief floods through my body as the hands are removed from my mouth. I feel a sharp sting at my wrists as he roughly cuts away the rope. I immediately shoot my hand upward, clawing at the blindfold to get it off. I hear the sound of the fabric covering the entrance to my tent being pulled back and work on getting the knot undone faster. Damn you and your knotting skills Boss. Giving the blindfold one last yank it comes off. Light floods my vision and I run outside the tent. Looking around desperately, I see no one I recognize. A shiver runs down my spine as I realize these people could be the eyes and ears my tormenter was talking about. I groan and throw the fabric back, storming into my tent.

A few minutes later, when I hear the jingling of the beads on my opening cover, I whip around, ready to fight. "You ok there?" Xavier asks.

I sigh, lowering my hands. "Yeah..." I turn back around, searching through my bag for a piece of paper.

"You ready for night watch?"

Aw shit. I forgot about that.

We have night guards patrolling the perimeter of camp. Every day there's a different group that does it on that day. Wednesday is my day, which is today. "Yeah," I lie. "I'm just finding my knife." I pull out a small knife and slip it in my jacket pocket. "Did you assign Brady a day?" I ask, turning to face him again.

"I did. He opted for Wednesday." Xavier says, his eyes shining with hatred and anger.

Why is he so mad?

"You don't seem to like him very much. Is everything ok?"

"I don't trust him."

"I trust him," I say softly, "Just trust me." He gives me an angry look before turning around.

"Get to your station." He snaps. "And Brady stays on the other side of Camp."

"Yes Chief." I say hotly, waking past him and towards the main entrance of Camp. I'm too busy thinking about Xavier and his issues with Brady to notice the person walking towards me.