Chapter 15

We've been walking for an hour by now, Tronvad in the front. I can feel the tension in our small group. Brady won't meet my eyes and Jude's knuckles are white from gripping Tronvad's arm so tightly. Thomas walks steadily next to me; once in a while grabbing my hand, as an assurance that he's there. We've been friends since we were little, and now I have to say bye.

Ralph. I am doing this for him.

I remind myself constantly of why I'm going. Yes I'm young, but I learned what sacrifice was when I was just six years old. The day my parents died. Remembering Ralph, and what he gave up for Camp, gives me the strength to hold my head up and walk to the Elxi.

In Front, Tronvad abruptly stops. "I have to do this alone."

"You screw anything up and you will regret it. Understood?" Jude roughly shoves him forward, his hand shaking slightly as he curls it into a first.

Something changed since we got here. I knew him only as a cocky soldier, but now he's more than that. He's been their leader with me, helped me get them all safely back to our Safe House. He's been there, strong and confident in his decisions, in who he trusts, and now something is off.

"Soldier..." I say softly.

His head snaps in my direction, his green eyes clouded with emotion.

"Can we talk?" I jerk my head over to the left.
Jude walks over into the narrow alley. I press my body into the wall, almost wanting to disappear into it. Despite Jude being against the opposite wall, there is almost no room between us. I lean back onto the wall, letting my legs slide forward, gently brushing his.

"Don't do this." He quickly says.

It's blunt. It's unexpected. It's completely wrong. Yet somehow, my stomach flips when he says it with such despair.

"You know I have to."

"Let me go instead... I go and you lead them."

"Jude..." A sigh escapes my lips. "I can't. Please stay, please be their-" I jerk my head towards Thomas and Brady. "their leader."

He doesn't say anything, just stares at the floor.

"And here I thought you hated me..." I whisper softly.

A broken laugh escapes his lips. "Annoy? Yes. But not hate, never hate." He raises his head to look at me, his eyes connecting with mine and then dropping lower, lingering on my lips for a moment.

"Emotions are weakness, Kitty Cat."
I know Mom. I know. No emotions means strength. Meaning I can't show any inside...

"Let me say bye here please." I curse at how broken my voice sounds, but as soon as I say it, Jude steps closer, almost closing the space between us.

"We are getting you out of there. No matter what." His hand comes up to brush a strand of my hair.

And then I don't think. I don't care that it's a bad idea. I don't care that I'm not going to see him again. I don't think; I stand on my tiptoes and gently press my lips to his. My body tingles in anticipation as his hands slowly press into my waist holding me close. Our mouths move in perfect sync as he gently pushes me back into the wall. I pull away first, knowing we have to go. I didn't realize I was crying until he wipes them away.

"We're going to get you back. I promise that-"

"Time to go-" Brady says walking into the alley. His face immediately reddens and his hands curl into fists at his side. "What's going on here?" he demands.