Chapter 9

"Kira?"

Xavier's voice brings me back to reality. I slowly open my eyes, the last light of the day seeping in through my tent. My body is curled into a small ball on my makeshift bed, the pillow still wet with tears.

"Kira?" He calls again. "Can I come in?"

"W-What do you want?" I curse myself at how broken my voice sounds.

"You know I did what I had to." He pushes back the fabric covering the entrance to my tent.

"You understand that don't you?"

"You could've let me go instead." I say through gritted teeth. "It would've been the smart thing to do. The Elxi would have what they wanted and Ralph could've helped you get me out. He knows the place. Now you have to live with knowing I won't stop until I get him out of there."

"No. I can't let you go Kira. No one leaves this camp, I don't care what-"

"What good is sitting around going to do!" All the grief and anger bottled up inside explodes towards Xavier. "They are never gonna stop and you think giving them a thirteen year old boy will solve anything? It won't! If you really are sorry then let me go get him out!"

"No." One word shatters any hope I've had, any hope of getting him out with the Camp's help. "I won't risk the whole camp's safety for one boy."

"He risked his life for us." I walk towards him. "He risked everything for us! Let me go help him please..."

"I said no Kira." He reaches for my hand but I yank it back.

Realization hits as I stare at him in shock.  "Get out."

He stares at me sympathetically, as he turns and leaves my tent. I don't care what he says, I'm going after Ralph, with or without his help. I run a hand through my hair as I evaluate my options.

3 Choices:
1. Leave on your own, most likely die trying to make a point.

2. Think it through, maybe get Brady or hell, even Jude to come with you, most likely end up being discovered.

3. Sit and do nothing.

I immediately choose the second one. Exiting the tent, I walk towards the Training Field, trying to find Brady.

"Kira!" I turn to see Thomas running forward, a grin plastered onto his face.

"Not now Thomas." I snap.

"No you're gonna want to see this." He grabs my hand and yanks me towards the weapon's shed. "We agree with you... Jude planned the whole thing... He's a frickin' genius." He rambles on until he knocks on the shed.

"Who?" Someone inside calls.

"Firecracker." Thomas answers firmly.

"What's going-" The door opens, stopping my words. Inside, there are about 30 people siting on the floor including Jude, Brady, Bea, soldiers, engineers, and nurses.

"What's going on?"

"Well Firecracker," Jude starts, "We believe that Ralph should be rescued, so we formed this group."

"You and Jude are the leaders." Brady smiles softly at me before continuing, "What should we do?"

I stare at them in shock. "You do know what you are saying right? 30 people going against the rest of camp, against the Elxi. How are we gonna win?"