Chapter 13

[ K I R A ' S P O V A G A I N ]

"No we split up."

"Split up five people and we've sent them on a suicide mission, Firecracker."

"It doesn't have to be!" I fire back. "Two and three, the Elxi want me more so I go with two others to make sure that if, if, something happens they aren't alone."

"Let me summarize," Jude sets his hands on the old table and leans towards me. "Let's send these people to their deaths."

I sigh loudly. We have been sitting here for half an hour and in the first five minutes we started arguing. "Ok. We have five people, not counting Hayes. The other 11 stay here as backup with one of the three radios Hayes is setting up. Five people is too much of a pack to travel in. Split up in small groups and it's harder for them to track us and easier to get an Elxi back here. Each group has their own radio and checks in whenever something happens."

Jude stays quiet for a moment before slapping his hand on the table. "Fine. But I make the groups. No arguing."

I nod slowly, knowing that he knows the soldiers and can make these groups well. "Deal."

He pushes the chair back and calls, "Group... Vepo..."

I throw him a amused look as he names the first group after the Greek word for water. They walk over, standing around the table. Brady, Thomas, Luke, and Jude all look at me to start.

"We've decided to split up into two groups. Each has a radio, each calls in everyone hour. If you find an Elxi on his or her own, bring them back here-"

Jude steps forward to stop me. "We leave at dawn, which gives us one hour. Ok for groups.." He stops for a second and glances around. "Kira, Brady, and... Luke. Which leaves me and Thomas-"

"And me." Hayes says from behind him. She hands us back our radios and motions to Cassi sitting on the floor. "Each group has one, and Cassi has one."

"Hayes, are you sure you want to come?" Jude's voice carries something new, something emotional: care.

"Positive."

"That's that then." I say. She beams at me in response.

"Don't take much, a weapon is all you need. Hayes, Firecracker, you need to blend in."

I nod at Jude and lead Hayes to the room full of silk clothes. She looks around, taking it all in. "Wow..." She breathes.

"OK. Women in Athanatos wear silk as sweaters so we need to do the same." She nods and slips off her grey jacket, leaving her in a thin blue long sleeved shirt. I watch her as she picks out her fabric. Her blonde hair, previously tightly braided to her side falls loosely around her shoulders. Her bright blue eyes shine with wonder and curiosity as she picks up a light pink silk. She wraps it around her shoulders and tucks it into the waistbands of her blue jeans as she walks up to me.

"Good?"

I pull it out of her jeans and instead bring one side back over her shoulders so it crosses diagonally over her torso and tuck it in behind her. "It'll keep you warmer."

"Your turn!" Her smile widens and for he first time, it reaches her eyes as she walks back to find a color that goes with my grey shirt and black jeans. I lean back onto the wall and wait as she comes back content with a dark, forest green color. Hayes walks forwards and wraps it loosely over my hair first. She lets it drape over my eyes slightly and then makes an X over my torso, tucking it into the back of my jeans. "Good."

I throw her a smirk as we walk further into the room admiring all the fabrics and silks.

An hour later, Jude sticks his head into the room and throws me smirk before tapping his watch.