Sixteen

Shawn

I kiss Kennedy goodbye as I drop her off at her house. The deep smile painted on her lips doesn't leave her face as she grabs the bags of clothing I bought for her. "Text me, yeah?" I ask, helping her grab the smaller ones. her fingers wrap around the white strings.

"I'll try." She replies, then kisses my cheek one last time. As soon as she attempts to turn around and leave, I grab her waist and pull her as close as possible to me. At first she gives me a confused look, but then she smiles. I bring my hands up to her face and cup her cheeks, my body leans in over hers as I press my lips onto hers. Her mouth is needy, when I start she doesn't finish. My left which is cupping the left side of her face, moves down to her left side, making her bring her hands to my waist. "I don't want to leave." She mumbles, grazing her tongue over my bottom lip. I open my mouth, allowing my tongue to touch hers, she slowly pulls away, then sighs.

"We can go back to my place." I whisper, now bringing my right hand down to her right side. I slightly lift up her shirt, just enough so that my hands are able to rest on her bare stomach. Her skin is soft, but cold, very cold. She's wearing my clothes, so I have no clue why she is so chilled. I stare down into her eyes, then pout my lips, making her giggle.

"No, we are already here." She replies, leaning in and resting her head on my chest. "I'll just see you soon." I hear her light voice whisper. Her head rests harder on my chest as I run my hand down her back. Kennedy looks up at me, her eyes look like they did when I first met her: hurt. I lean in and kiss her forehead, then carefully let her go. I continue to watch her until she makes it through the door, the streets are empty, but reek of cigarettes and garbage.

I feel bad for Kennedy, even though I only mediocrely know her, it bothers me to know that she lives that type of life. If I had the choice, I would have her live with me, but how creepy is it to have a girl who is six years younger than you live with you? Pedophile creepy.

I quickly roll up the car window, then begin to drive back to work. No, I'm not dressed in the proper clothes to go to work, but I have some work clothes in the closet of my office. The drive to work is about forty minutes from Kennedy's, but as soon as I get there I see Kylee's car parked in my normal spot. I let out a small sigh, realizing that she is simply doing this out of petty.

Once I find a parking spot, I rush out the car and grab a few files that I had rested in the back seat. Kylee stares at me as I enter, either because of what I am wearing or because I decided to show up four hours later than usual. "You look comfortable." She mutters loud enough for me to hear. I look down at my Adidas sweatpants and white T-Shirt.

"Yeah." I reply, walking over to her desk and fiddling through the mail.

"How was your date?" She asks, trying her best to avoid eye contact. Her long pink nails slide down a few letters as she hands them to me, I quickly skim through them to see if there's any urgent ones, thankfully theres not.

"Good." I reply with a smile, she lets out a fake laugh, then rolls her eyes. I look down her body to see she's not wearing her normal, cleavage showing attire, making me chuckle.

"What?" She asks, finally looking at me.

"You're not going to try and seduce me today?" I ask, looking into her brown eyes.

"No, maybe tomorrow." She replies, making me walk away with a chuckle. As soon as I get to my office, I rummage through my closet, quickly finding a dark blue button up and black dress pants. However, there's no dress shoes, so I'll be forced to wear my Adidas slides. As soon as I finish changing, I hear a light knock on my door, making me rush over to open it.

"Someone is here for you, Mr. Mendes." She says softly with a smirk as the door opens. I look out to see one of my clients, sitting there with his fingers crossed over his lap, as soon as he sees me, he smiles and stands up.

"Thank you, Kylee." He says, walking past me into my room. At first he stares me down, stopping at my shoes and letting out a slight snicker. I close the doer behind me as I walk back to my desk.

Mr. Williams is in his mid-forties, and comes to me about every month to discuss his divorce. Yes, he is going through a rough break up, and it is very noticeable. He constantly reeks of hard liquor and occasionally a slight drop of marijuana, but only occasionally. He's also put on some weight since the first time we met, he's always had quite a round figure, but now it's rather rounder, and hairier.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Williams, anything you want to talk about?" I ask, forcing a small smile on my face. He roughly places a piece of paper in the middle of the long desk, then whispers "read that." I carefully pick it up, then allow my eyes to scan the tiny black lettering.

"Full custody?" I ask, placing the papers back down.

"What a fucking bitch, right?" He murmurs. "She's trying to take away my child, Shawn."

"Mr. Williams, if we are going to bring this anywhere, you're going to have to clean yourself up." I reply, making him sigh.

"I know, but what if she wins?"

"She won't, you're not an unfit parent. You're perfectly capable of taking care of your daughter and you pay your part at the same time every month." I say in a soothing voice, Mr. Williams is very aware of this, but at times he just needs a reminder. "Can you stop by tomorrow at around twelve? It will give me time to put something together."

"Yes, of course. Thank you so much Mr. Mendes. I appreciate it so much." He says with a big smile as he gets up from the chair. "I promise I'll clean up, I'm not losing another one of my girls." I give him a small smile as I stand up to open the door for him, he eyes me down again, then laughs at my shoes once more. "Have a great day."

"You too, Mr. Williams." I reply, shutting the door behind him. Then, as if on que, my phone begins to buzz from my pant pocket, I quickly take it out to see that Gilinsky is calling me.

"Hey." He says as soon as I answer.

"Yes?" I ask, walking to my chair.

"Party tonight at Brandon's, do you want to come?" He asks. "No inviting your child though, she'll kill the vibe."

"Brandon?"

"Brandon, from college, the one that slept next to us." He says, making me instantly remember.

Brandon is another Jack, he has his college degree, but has not done anything with it. He's also a pretty boy, who is very aware of it.

"Why can't I bring Kennedy?" I ask, rubbing my head.

"Because, she looks young, people will definitely have something to say." He replies.

"You're right." I say. "Yeah, I'll be there, come to my house at like seven, yeah?"

"Yeah. Hey, maybe you can find someone better than your child, and older too."

"Maybe." I reply.

Hopefully.