Chapter 5 - 1st Year

EDITED

Harry smirked. "Well our new defence teacher works for Fudge, so she isn't letting us use magic, so we, Ron, Hermione and I, formed a club that allows other students who want to learn how to defend themselves learn," Harry said. James nodded at this. Sirius was paying attention to them but was also reading the daily prophet. "Who's teaching these classes?" James asked. Hermione smiled. "Harry does. We figured that he was the most experienced out of us. I mean he's faced You-Know-Who multiple times already." Hermione said. Harry looked away from James. He had a slight blush coating his cheeks. "Hermione. He doesn't know yet...." Harry said quietly. James looked at Harry who had looked away. "Harry, what does Hermione mean by that?" James asked sitting up from his slackened position. "Dad, Voldemort-Hermione flinched at this-has been after me ever since I beat him when I was a baby," Harry said. James looked horror-stricken at this. "He what?" James said. Before Harry could respond there was a flash of light and everyone jumped back. James leaned forward first looking at what had appeared. "It's from Dumbledore," James said picking up the note. "Here." James handed the note to Harry, and Hermione read over his shoulder.

Thought this would be easier than talking about your past. It's my pensive. Remember from last year. Just select memory and place it in the pensive. Then you'll be able to show your father everything.

-Dumbledore

Harry looked at the pensive that sat on the table. "This will be better." James said. He had seen the struggle in Harry's eyes as he debated on telling him. Harry nodded. "Sirius, Hermione, would you two like to join us?" Harry asked the others. As Ron was out and Remus was on duty for the order it was just the four of them. Hermione smiled at Harry. "Of course Harry." She said. Harry smiled at Hermione. Sirius looked up, casting the paper aside. "Sure. I'm sure James is going to need someone to calm him down." Sirius said with a smirk. James glared playfully at him shoving him off the couch. Harry and Hermione looked at each other. "Dad," Harry said timidly. James looked up at Harry and Hermione, who were sitting together across from James and Sirius. "Yeah Harry?" James said looking up at them. "Do you want to see my memories now or later?" Harry said. Hermione looked at Harry taking his hand. "It's okay Harry, you don't have to be nervous about this." She murmured in his ear. Harry nodded. He could feel Hermione's fingers tracing the scars from his detentions with Umbridge. "Harry, whenever you want to share them. They're your memories." James said watching the two teens. Harry nodded. "I think now is better than ever." He said. He raised his wand to his scalp and pulled a silvery thread from his head. His first year at Hogwarts memories. He placed them in the pensive before looking at the three people surrounding him. Harry leaned over the bowl and was sucked into it he was cloaked followed by Hermione, who was then followed by James and Sirius. Harry looked at them with a smile. He watched as the memory started.

~Memories will be italicized~

A young Harry, who was wearing clothes that were too big had just appeared on platform 9 3/4. A bright red train was sitting there and families crowded the station. He followed the family of red-heads that had helped him get on to the platform. The two twins helped Harry with his trunk before going off to find their friends. Harry sat in the compartment alone until a young redheaded boy appeared in the doorway. "Can I sit here? Everywhere else is taken." He said. Hermione smiled at young Harry and Ron. Her two best friends. "Harry, why are you so scrawny?" James asks looking down at Harry from where he stood. "The Dursley's." Harry muttered not saying anything else. Soon the trolley had come and you could see Harry and Ron talking with each other while they ate their goodies. Then the compartment door opened, and there stood a bushy, brown-haired Hermione. "Have either of you seen a toad? A boy named Neville lost one." She said before she spotted Ron with his wand up. "Oh, are you doing magic? Let's see it then." She said looking at Ron. Ron rolled his eyes before speaking. "Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow, turn this stupid fat rat yellow!" Ron said. Nothing happened. He shrugged at Harry. Hermione looked disbelieving at the spell. "Are you sure that's a real spell? Well, it's not very good, is it? Of course, I've only tried a few simple spells myself, and they've all worked for me. For example..." Hermione says before sitting down across from Harry. "Oculus Reparo. That's better, isn't it? Holy Cricket, you're Harry Potter. I'm Hermione Granger...and you are...?" Hermione asked looking at Ron. "I'm...Ron Weasley." Ron said. Hermione looked disgusted. "Pleasure. You two better change into your robes. I expect we'll be arriving soon. You've got dirt, on your nose, by the way, did you know? Just there." Hermione said turning back to Ron. She tapped the side of her nose before turning and leaving. James and Sirius were laughing so hard. "Hermione, you are just like Remus." James said. Hermione blushed, turning away from the two older men as the scene changed. Darkness, the train blows its whistle and pulls into an outdoor station. Hagrid walks along the side aisle, with a lantern. People begin pouring out of the train. "Right, then! First years! This way, please! Come on, now, don't be shy! Come on now, hurry up!" You can hear Harris yelling for the first years. Harry and Ron walk up to Hagrid. "Hello, Harry." Hagrid greets him. "Hey, Hagrid!" Harry replies as he and Ron follow Hagrid. "Whoaa!" Murmured Ron looking up at Hagrid. "Right then. This way to the boats! Come on, now, follow me." Hagrid calls again. Several boats are travelling across a vast lake, where up ahead a huge castle can be seen. People are in awe.