Chapter 9 - 4th Year

EDITED

After lunch, everyone dispersed to do their things. James was sitting alone in the kitchen, staring at the fireplace. Sirius had just walked out of the room after explaining to James why Harry had to be the one to tell him about it. James sighed shaking his head. He got up walking up the stairs. He found Harry sitting with Ron and Hermione in one room. They were talking quietly. James stepped in, clearing his throat and making all three jump. "Harry? Can we talk?" He asked his son. Harry exchanged a look with Ron and Hermione before nodding and getting up to follow James. James and Harry walked to another room and sat down. "Harry, Sirius told me that last year was hard for you, but wouldn't tell me why," James said. Harry looked at James, before looking away. "Dad. I don't want to talk about it." Harry said not looking at James. "Harry, please. You're my son. I know that I should've been there last year, and all of your life." James said placing a hand on Harry's shoulder.

Harry looked back at James with uncertain eyes. Harry hesitated before speaking. "Last year, Hogwarts hosted the Triwizard tournament. Only students 17 years or older could enter." Harry explained. James looked confused. "Why is it so haunting to everyone? I mean, you only got to watch the tournament." James said. Harry shook his head and before he could answer footsteps were heard. "Harry? Mr Potter?" It was from Hermione. She was looking for them. When she entered the room, with Ron. "Hermione, Ron," Harry said. James smiled at Harry's friends. It was obvious how much the trio cared for each other. "You guys can call me James, Mr Potter makes me feel older and that's what people called my father." He said with a small frown. He remembered when his father and mother had died. He'd only been 19, and he remembered how his friends had been there for him but didn't know how to react to his emotional outbursts. "Harry, what were you saying about the tournament?" James asked. Harry looked at Hermione and Ron. Hermione nodded knowing that Harry should tell his father. "Someone put my name in and place a charm on the goblet. Instead of choosing three, it chose four. Two Hogwarts champions." Harry said. James was angry. No that's an understatement. He was furious. "YOU HAD TO COMPETE?! AND DUMBLEDORE DIDN'T STOP YOU?!" He yelled. Harry cringed knowing a reaction like this was coming. Sirius appeared in the doorway. "Why don't you show it to him, Harry?" Sirius said. "He has the right to know and it'll come out sooner or later." He said walking in with the pensive. Harry sighed before drawing the memory out and placing it in the pensive. He remembered how to do it because of Dumbledore last year having done it in front of him. Harry leaned forward again, taking a deep breath before letting himself fall into the horrors of his fourth year. James followed him and then Hermione and Ron. Then Sirius knowing James would need someone.

The memory started just at the end of the quidditch World Cup. Ron, Harry and Hermione were standing up with the other Weasley's in the booth, along with Cornelius Fudge, Lucius, Narcissa and Draco Malloy. Then there was a House-elf sitting at the end of the row, saving two seats. They watched the final seconds of the match, James and Sirius very into seeing it. "Bulgaria and Ireland. Two good teams, but Ireland's better." James said as he and Sirius voice their views on the two teams. They were quite shocked to see Krum catch the snitch, but yet have Ireland win. The scene changed to later the night and James' face went pale at the screams of terror and the sight of the muggles and deatheaters. "What the hell?!" He asks the trio. "We have no idea. We were woken in the middle of the night by it." Hermione answered quickly. Harry, Ron and Hermione were running through the forest after the twins and Ginny. Percy, Bill, Charlie and Arthur had run off to help the other ministry officials with the deatheaters. When Harry got separated from Ron and Hermione, James panicked especially when he passed out. Then the ministry officials came after Ron and Hermione had found Harry. They fired stunning spells, that the three managed to duck beneath. They were saved by Arthur who came and found them. "Thank god for Arthur," James said. James was mad at Crouch for thinking that Harry had conjured the Dark Mark. For lord sake, he's fourteen. "How dare he accuse you! If I ever-" he was cut off by Harry. "Dad. He's dead. His son killed him." Harry said. James stopped telling and watched the memory.