1.4

{Delilah}.

I thought he was through the worst of it. I thought that now we were all just waiting to see if he would open his eyes, but I was wrong and failed to realise that there were things that were still troubling Calum. In retrospect, we were all thinking that, perhaps that was why it shocked us so much when Calum was wheeled into emergency surgery.

The machines which were connected to Calum started to beep, and at first I thought it was just because the fluids for his IV drip had ran out as that had happened earlier, though once again I was proved wrong as the nurse who came to check in on Calum called for the doctor.

Her tone was urgent and myself and Luke both stood up, trying to get as near to Calum as we could. Before we had the chance to ask the nurse what was happening, doctors and surgeons were filling the room, pushing us aside so they could get to Calum.

Within seconds he was being pulled away from us again, and all we could do was watch and pray that it wouldn't be the last time we see him.

Luke held me back and I struggled against his hold, whimpers parting from my lips as I watched Calum disappear. "He'll be okay, he'll be okay." Luke repeated over and over to me until I eventually calmed down.

-

Several hours has passed and we were finally able to be with Calum again. Luke told me that he suffered internal bleeding, but I couldn't bare to hear anything else; I just needed to see him.

Walking back in and looking at him, you wouldn't have known he was any worse. He still had the same oxygen masked pressed to his mouth, and the same amount of fluids entering his body, but he was a lot weaker than before.

We were told that it wasn't good.

I took his hand in mine, lacing our fingers together. My other hand brushing through his hair, slowly moving down to caress his cheek.

"Talking to him will help, do you know that?"

I turned around wondering who the voice belonged to, seeing Luke leaning against the door frame. He made his way over to me and my eyes drifted back down to Calum. I stayed quiet, unsure of what to say.

"In some situations, they can hear you." He added, standing by Calum's side. "I did a bit or research, not much really, but it was saying something about how talking to him will effect his brain waves and increase the awareness in him so he wakes up."

I looked up to Luke, my lips trembling lightly as I held tightly onto Calum's hand for reassurance.

"I think he just needs to hear you speak to him, to let him know that you haven't given up on him."

-

Happy 5th birthday to One Direction. Can't believe it's been 5 years. <3